Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get a new amp!

I want somthing that can get a really nice glassy smooth sexy tone.

Here are some tones I like

Marcel Coenen
John Petrucci
Vai
George Bellas
Malmsteen
Michael Angelo
Wylde
Michael Romeo
Dime

I know thats ALL over the place with diffrent amps but maybe theres a middle ground that I havent found yet...........

Only one thing.......
It must be tube!!!!!!!!!!

Rack or head doesnt matter.

At the moment Im not worried about costs so if the amp is $100.00 or $5000.00 It doesnt matter. I dont mind saving for a few weeks.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EL-CeeDee said:
However I hate to say this ( being an all tube guy )...

You might like a line 6 vetta
I use a POD XT to teach with and although I "like" the tone......I dont want that line6 sound as my main tone.

And I have tried a vetta

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd say get a Mark IV. That amp's fantastic and it is very gainy indeed.

I remember reading in the booklet of Symphony X's V: New Mythology Suite that Romeo uses Mesa/Boogie amps. Maybe he uses a US High Gain model on that album because it sounds like all his other tones on the rest of their catalogue.

Maybe you'd like a Nomad?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I've met that Michael Angelo, suprisingly he was a very nice and welcoming man.

My favorite? Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the 900 is VERY low gain from what Ive heard. Ive played 3 diffrent 900s. Not that low gain is a bad thing, but for the price Id want more gain.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Despite most my tones being heavier distorted stuff, my favorite amp is the Marshall Majors with the plexi panels.

That makes two people in a row who have been fortunate enough to own their favorite amps (and hopefully more to come).

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Progdude said:
the 900 is VERY low gain from what Ive heard. Ive played 3 diffrent 900s. Not that low gain is a bad thing, but for the price Id want more gain.
Not close. Old Fenders would be very low gain. I would be pressed to say that old Marshalls are very low gain although they are fairly clean especially by today's standards. 900s have 10 times more gain than an old plexi. They are still high gain amps, just not high gain in comparison to a recto.

The SL-X has 4 preamp tubes and no clipping diodes and more gain than the three tube models. If you need more gain than that, I question your sanity. I don't think my gain controls ever exceed a sum of 10 (one for the first tube and one for the rest both from 0 to 10).

I find I cannot turn up the gain too far on my SL-X with guitars with more vintage style, quieter, cleaner pickups and have it not be an EQing nightmare, but damn it's smokin' with the Jem ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My 900 Dual Reverb has bags of gain, I have an SL-X too, but there isn't a noticable differrence.

Even I am a gain junkie, wanting bags of gain for screaming leads. You'll find it to be rather pleasant working with a 900 Dual Reverb. From experience.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive played the SL-X and the gain is low. Its not anywhere near a Mesa recto or a peavey xxx/5150. I need metal tones too! And the 900 just does not have the gain. nor does the 800s. Maybe Im TOO used to REALLY high gain tones...........

I know Wylde uses the 800s but I dont use EMGs and I dont crank my amps to 10. I need to get the gain with a lower med volume.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Well that's your problem then, wanting high gain from 100watt amps at low volume, they're not meant for low volume. Try those rectos and peaveys at high volume and see what you get, the same as a 900 ;)

A bit like driving an 8 liter car around town and complaining its not as efficient as a smaller engined car.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is NO ****ING WAY a 900 has the gain abilitys as a Peavey XXX when its cranked to 10. With the XXX on the ultra channel on even 3 and the gain on 10.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
well people are just trying to give opinions and your shooting most of them down.

If you like the recto or xxx then your mind is already made up..

Your people you listed all use different things there is no one amp that is going to cover all the bases plain and simple.

Finding common ground is one thing if the marshall doesnt have the gain ya need simple fix put a pedal in front of it for when you need more. Etc etc

my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 83 Posts