Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Neck? Bridge?
One pickup that I think is very interesting is a Duncan hybrid I have, that is a coil off of a JB, and a coil off of a Custom 5. It is pretty much along the lines of the "unbucker" principle, and it really has a great sound to it.

I like Lindy Fralin pickups, I like EMGs, I like just about everything. I can't pick one specific pickup. EMG 60A is a great neck pickup. Duncan Distortion is a great bridge OR neck pickup as well. The list really goes on and on...

Pickups are really starting to take off on their own niche now, with so many developers out there now.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Would be tone zone in the neck and x2n in the bridge, paf pro in the neck tone zone in the bridge, evo neck and evo bridge too :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i love the distortion set of SD but i also like the custom on the bridge...
i want to buy some dimarzios but not right now.
JJ

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Fav are X2N Bridge and Tone Zone Neck, JB Bridge and 59'sNeck, EVO Bridge and Neck and Dimarzio/IBZ Bridge and Neck all install in several of my guitars.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
X2N bridge, Air Norton neck (X2N only dsounds good when played through Marshalls or similarly voiced vintage amps, not Mesas or ENGLs, etc).

I also like a simple PAF Pro/PAF Pro combo.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've been using EMGs for years. 81, 85, 60, S, SA, SAV, etc...

Lately though its looking more and more like DiMarzio all the way. I'm using an Evolution in the Bridge, with either an Air Norton, or Chopper in the neck. I've got to try a Steve's Special one of these days :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
X2N bridge, Air Norton neck (X2N only dsounds good when played through Marshalls or similarly voiced vintage amps, not Mesas or ENGLs, etc).

I also like a simple PAF Pro/PAF Pro combo.
Why would you say that X2N only sounds good when played through that sort of amp?
I'm asking because I plan on putting it on my guitar and I have a Peavey Bandit.

·
Registered
482 Posts
can some of you say which kinda of wood your guitars are too??
i'd say i would like an evo or super distortion, my prefrence is dimarzio
I have an s470 (mohogany) and i think the tone zone is kinda weak and muddy. i bought it for an rg but i sold it and im in love with the s's now

·
Registered
408 Posts
In alder....
Neck - Paf Pro and Air Norton both great. Virtual Vintage 2, and stock Am. Fender single coils.
Bridge - *EVO*, TZ also sounds good. Will try a Fred soon.

In mahogany...
Neck - Gibson PAF, EMG 89 (great single coil sound)
Bridge - Gibson PAF, EMG 85

Ovation's stock acoustic pups are good as well.

The stock PAF in my SG and the 89 in my S470 have the smoothest neck tones on the planet, and both sound great clean. Evo in the bridge of any alder guitar kicks and screams.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts