Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, between the winter NAMM show, the Ibanez website updates, and catalog printing, when is the soonest we can expect to see the new changes to model line up and colors, etc. for 2008?

In other words, if I am on the fence about buying a new SZ520QM, how long is it worth waiting before buying if I wanted to see if I'd possibly like a 2008 SZ better than what's currently available?

Right now I have the option of buying a TP (transparent purple) which would have to be a leftover '06 model, or I could buy the blue (Lapis Blue Burst?) which is a current '07 color, or I could even try to obtain the green color which is available in the US only, not Canada. Otherwise, I hold off and wait... until I can see what's in store for Canada (and US) for 2008.

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
And when will they bring out the Jem 21st anniversary edition and the 1 year reissue of the Rg550 :p

They should however bring out a Jem in a nice fluro color, I think its about bloody time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah whatever they release you can be sure to count on black, black , and more black. If they have a real color(technically black and white aren't colors, they're shades...that's what I was taught in art class years ago), if they have a real color other than black, it'll probably be on a low end model that most of us wont want. Or instead of a good version of a particular color, we'll get the crappy version. Like instead of emerald green, we'll get baby**** green, or instead of Desert Yellow we'll get tobacco stain yellow. :)

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I like green shadow flat. I wish they'd put it on an RG. I also have yet to see blue haze in person. No one's put picks of a 370 up with it either. It's like the red-headed stepchild of guitar finishes. They seem to be adventurous on the Indy guitars because there's less risk involved.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Ibanez guitars, but if there's one thing to be said about the company is that they seem terrified of risk!
Oh, and to be exceedingly redundant...
Bring back original edge, Wizard 1 / Super Wizard, and those great color options.
Out!;)

PS: They seem more frightened of risk since Bill Rheim took over USA. Just my opinion and perception...
PPS: Not to mention music marketing going into the irons with the internet (myspace, youtube, etc...). Nothing as yet has replaced the beast of "alternative", eh? Just being fair.... ;)
PPS: Not to mention our sucking US Dollar. Thanks, and enjoy the show...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Please stop repeating the black complaints like brainless dummies.

can you name a company that has more DIFFERENT models than Ibanez'

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Gimme a decent 7-string that isn't made of basswood or that doesn't cost a fortune. Ibanez can't, so I'll go to Carvin. A Royal blue RG1527 is not what I want, and with Ibanez, that's my only option unless I buy a J Custom which I can't afford and doesn't have my ideal spec anyway. I don't want rosewood. Or Royal blue. Or the Edge Pro. Or the thicker Wizard Prestige neck. Or the non-reverse headstock. This is not very good coming from "The 7-string Company".

It's all very great having a million models, but how many are left handed? How many have maple or ebony fretboards? How many ARE NOT BLACK!!? :) The RG series is atrocious now. It's the same guitar, but different levels of craftsmanship. H-S-H, rosewood, boring finish, basswood... yawn.

As a contrast, let's see the options available for just one Carvin model. It doesn't end here, you can have a different headstock if you liike...

http://www.carvin.com/gallery/guitargallery.php?ItemNumber=CT6M

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Ok, they don't have your model. Point taken.

Still, people complain about variety and Ibanez delivers. RG, S, SZ, Artist, several forms of Artcore, X Series, and whatnot. Many options in mass produced guitars is just impossible.

If people want a colored 80's guitar, go to **** or buy one of the -yes, overpriced- limited editions.

Oh, and PLEASE do not post elaborate theories about what sells or not. Simple logic- who knows better, guitar fans surfing the net, or the guys who actually count how much the company wins or losses.

My uninformed bet is Hoshino laughs at our 'black complains' while counting the cash earned zillons of black, basswood made RGs

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Great.

If that's the case, they don't deserve my money. As I said, I'm going elsewhere to a company that cares what I want as a player. You guys can sit here and talk about Ibanez finishes until 2015. Nothing is gonna change. If black painted basswood makes you happy, caprile, carry on.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well, i've already found alternative to an RG with my Fernandes FR, same features of rg but with a color flame top.

Ibanez sure does offer a wide variety of guitar. but it doesnt mean it has caught the market.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Dee, first of all, my post wasn't all directed at you. I think is ok to rant if the company doesn't suit your needs (or "desires", I don't see who *needs* a certain wood or color LOL). It wasn't my intention to sound harsh at all ;)

But, I'll insist on the "market experts" here. I really annoys me when people begin grandstanding, assuming they know what Ibanez should do, when they DO NOT.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Few people do, in fact most people have bad taste anyway, to be completely honest. But let's be realistic here -- a good choice of finishes is not a bad thing. Other finishes would sell. Solid and simple is the way to go, such as white, red, a couple of shades of blue, etc. I don't think it's asking too much, personally. Other manufacturers do it. It doesn't hurt their business. But to offer a model in only one colour? Are you out of your mind, Ibanez?

Making a guitar available in one colour only does not help to sell that model more than if it was available in 3 different finishes. Let's take the RG2550, for example. I didn't buy it because I hate how it looks. If they had made it in white or road flare, or sky blue, I would have bought it. Same for the RG1527 in Royal Blue only. WTF!? Pathetic. And I honestly don't know why anyone is sticking up for Ibanez on this issue, I don't like it when customers are not happy and some guy comes along and tells you "hey, don't complain". F' Off!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've got to agree with Dee on this one. I personally won't buy a guitar that completely looks bad. i'm not going to say, well it's ibanez, i shouldn't complain about the lack of finishes, they make good enough guitars already.... that's just stupid. big surprise, but many people won't buy a guitar that looks bad, and black is beginning to look very old and very original it's boring. why not give us some guitars that have a bigger variety of finsihes? i would be a LOT more inclined to buy an ibanez if ihad more choice in the color scheme.

i also want a cheaper 7 string. 7 strings are awesome, but to buy an ibanez 7 string that is decent, you have to be rich, and even then you don't get what you want. bah!

we HAVE to complain if all the colors we are getting is blue and black. and somtimes white and red. it's just g*y. don't tell us NOT to complain., we perfect right to.

rock on Dee

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funny.. I've got a copy of the 2006 and 2007 Ibanez catalogs in my hands and I see plenty of color options.

The RG1570 can be had in that cool mirage red or blue. the RG2570 in vital silver or vital gold. Yeah the RG2550 is only black.. bummer. As is the 8-string RG.

The RG350 and 321 have multiple colors. The RGTs and RGAs have some interesting colors.

And the S, SA, and SZ have some really cool colors.

Where's all this "only black" sentiment coming from?

·
Registered
637 Posts
uhhh, yeah, ibanez theoritically "makes" other colored guitars, but dude, these guitars are pretty much impossible to be had. i got to the store, everything i see is black, white or blue. nothing else. that's in a GC with hundreds of guitars.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Where's all this "only black" sentiment coming from?
It's not that the only colour is black, but in the RG range where the problem mostly exists, the colours are either black or something very close to black. Mirage Red and Mirage Blue, well they usually look black in most lighting anyway! So it's either a flat black or something sparkly, and this includes Vital Gold, Mirage Red, Mirage Blue, Galaxy Black, Royal Blue (another one that can often look black), the RGA finishes, etc. It's really not very inventive or interesting.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts