Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  nuno 
#1 ·
I was wondering if any you know what the JEM, UV or even JS Prototypes became ? There are a few that are known to be in proud owners' hands but many other for which apparently there is no traces left.

At that time, the few that are know from my side are :

* JEM GMC : hold by a US Jemsite member ;
* JEM DNA : everyone knows it's in Italy by an Italian Jemsite member ;
* UVMC : one of the 2 proto is with Rich ;
* JS 3 :eek:ne of the 2 or 3 proto is (supposedly) in Germany
* JS 4 : also hold by Rich ;
* JS 5 : guess who - Rich again.

Is there anyone here who knows for the rest of them ? I'm really wondering when the PMC, 10th, etc... went especially knowing that Steve (or Joe) has none.

#3 ·
Just because something is a catalog model doesn't mean it's a prototype. The GMC might be, but it just as well may have been out of the first [or more] run and the one they chose for the pictures. Considerring the neck plates were 91's that project was long in the works before 92' NAMM.

Same with the UVMC's, just because they were in literature doesn't make them prototypes in any way.

Prototype would typically mean evolutionary, something different about it that's not quite like the rest, and rarely, that final prototype that actually ends up being the model for production. There's some gray area in there.

My JS2 is a proto not because it was the catalog model but because it has the angled jack and a production JS2 has a straight jack. The JS4 is a proto because the graphic is very different than the production, but evolving toward. The JS5 is the same, but also on a custom shop body so easier to substatiate. A friend owns the JS5 with the painted pickups Pedro Cruz painted which would also be prototype. I have that alder LACS proto, and I know another JS1WH that has direct mount pickups, and of course Joe has a whole slew of one offs and proto's, but determining which is which, you're back in the gray areas again.

#5 ·
Ok maybe I should any worded the topic title "Where are the PROTOTYPES / CATALOG models" as I did not mean to limit the topic to PROTOTYPES that were NOT seen in catalogue. I don't know if there is a process for amending the title. Mods, could you do the amendment or must I open a new thread ?

#7 ·
If that GMC was one of the color samples [like my OMC] then it's one of those rare prototypes that ends up being the production version.

There's only inventory with a few straglers in the house, but the loaded 12 gauge has some deterent value ;)

#8 ·
i know for definite that a chrome JS prototype came over here (England) and ended up in the Rock Shop, Shrewsbury. my old man found out about it and took me there!! there was no serial number.. a lot of gunk on the fret board..and loads of scratches where a pick gaurd should be!!! i think the owner of the shop said that about 3-5 were made..he got it through somebody who knew somebody who knew satch. NO i didn't buy it, i cant remember the price tag at the time but it was way out my range . was it genuine? i think so..if memory serves me right it came with a little hand written note from the satch himself!!...yes if i can find the photos a i'll post 'em

#14 ·
From Jean's list of prototypes...

At that time, the few that are know from my side are :

* JEM GMC : hold by a US Jemsite member ;
* JEM DNA : everyone knows it's in Italy by an Italian Jemsite member ;
* UVMC : one of the 2 proto is with Rich ;
* JS 3 :eek:ne of the 2 or 3 proto is (supposedly) in Germany
* JS 4 : also hold by Rich ;
* JS 5 : guess who - Rich again.
Maybe I read it wrong? :confused:

#18 ·
I bought it out of Japan from a roofer that had broken his legs in a fall. He got it from a retired employee that was the guitar buyer when he worked at HUSA in exchange for a roof [he got more than one]. Supposedly the guy has an amazing collection of similar stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.