Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm positive that this has been covered, but I can't find a thread about this. The only shops that I know of that deal with Jem Copies are:EKG Custom Shop featured above, and Monsterguitarshop.com.

Does anyone some other suggestions or experiance with either of these 2 company's?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm not familiar with monster shop, but there's also LGM (above), but I don't think he's up and running since his move. FYI.

"Jem copy" is sort of vague. What exactly are you looking to do? To make a Jem copy, you may or may not need those guys. As far as Jems go you probably couldn't get better than Eddie or Jeremy, but they're busy as could be. So, if you start with an RG the hardest thing you'll have to get done is the routing and the inlays. There was a "schematic" for a Jem floating around here somewhere. Depending on how handy you are you could do it yourself or have it done. As far as parts, trem, pups, etc., your local Ibanez dealer, Rich (above) or Matt's Music (also above) could help.

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
studentofshred said:
I'm positive that this has been covered, but I can't find a thread about this. The only shops that I know of that deal with Jem Copies are:EKG Custom Shop featured above, and Monsterguitarshop.com.

Does anyone some other suggestions or experiance with either of these 2 company's?
Ask Koss about his experience with monsterguitarshop or ask over at the kramer forum about them.

Regards

André

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
bob mclaughlin said:
If you clicked on his web-site, I guess that would answer your question......:p
After years of doing custom work for other people on a paid basis I have closed down the shop services section of Universal Jems.

I will still honor all warrantees for work I have performed.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
ibanezcollector said:
After years of doing custom work for other people on a paid basis I have closed down the shop services section of Universal Jems.

I will still honor all warrantees for work I have performed.
I,m sorry about that. I thought he was talking about replacement parts....(my bad).

·
Registered
675 Posts
bpd111 said:
I'm not familiar with monster shop, but there's also LGM (above), but I don't think he's up and running since his move. FYI.
LGM isn't doing customs anymore, he's strictly doing his own Leviathan guitars now (He may still be doing custom airbrush graphics, I can't remember for sure).

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
technomancer said:
LGM isn't doing customs anymore, he's strictly doing his own Leviathan guitars now (He may still be doing custom airbrush graphics, I can't remember for sure).
I don't think he's doing much of anything until his booth is squared away (unless it is by now--I hope so, for his sake). If I recall correctly, he'll do the mods if you don't mind going to the back of the line. You'd have to get in touch with him or find his latest update.

I think this is the latest update:
littlegreenman said:
I am also very happy to announce, and regretful at the same time, that once up and running, LGM Guitars will be taking orders only for Leviathan instruments. This may change in the future, but currently the work load is so high that I cannot take on the other work. However, as I stated in past posts, IF you are really set on having LGM Guitars do a special job for you, contact me, I will take on other work with the understanding that it may take 12 months if not more.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, these are really good suggestion. By the phrase "Jem copy" I simply meant a jem style body made to the same specs as any of the Jem mods. 777, Universe, etc.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
studentofshred said:
So is LGM still selling replacement parts?
By "parts" I thought you meant all the parts including fretboard and routed body which would be the most difficult parts to come by. He doesn't really sound like a viable option at the moment.

What are you looking for?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Specifically what I'm looking for is a custom body, and hardware (everytig but pickups). Perhaps, a neck, though I'm going to check evilbay for a Wizard II Prestige.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
fettouhi said:
Ask Koss about his experience with monsterguitarshop or ask over at the kramer forum about them.

Regards

André
You rang?

Ahh monsterguitarshop...you've raised my post count amoungst many guitar forums..thank you. :D

In my books, monsterguitarshop=nono. Let me browse the forums here and see if I can find my rant about my experiences with them...

Well I couldn't find it. Yay me. This is from a PM I sent to someone summing it up pretty well.

The body came to me with problems with the specs. IE: the neck joint was too small, my trem didin't fit into the cavity properly, the underneath control cavity wasn't deep enough at points, it CAME with a chip, and crack in the back of the body, and the studs do not go all the way in. I remidied pretty much all of the falts myself, saufe que les studs cavity.

I do not recommmend MGS, unless they change their specs, or if you are good with tools yourself. The price was the cheapest i've found around, and that clearly shows in the work.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
studentofshred said:
Specifically what I'm looking for is a custom body, and hardware (everytig but pickups). Perhaps, a neck, though I'm going to check evilbay for a Wizard II Prestige.
The body will be tough with Eddie and Jeremy taking a hiatus from that sort of thing. I think your best bet is to have someone make RG to Jem changes for you, do it yourself or have someone build you one.

Here's a link to project guitar. You could do it yourself if you're handy. A little way down the page, you'll see links to tutorials detailing the RG to Jem mods:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial2.htm

Next is link to Jemsite's Jem blueprints. You could conceivably hire someone to make the changes for you.

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/origin/

Everything else, besides the neck (4-letter auction site -- check there for the other parts, too), can be had either through Rich at Ibanez Rules or your local dealer. Oh yeah, pickguards can be had at pickguard paradise above.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Koss said:
You rang?

Ahh monsterguitarshop...you've raised my post count amoungst many guitar forums..thank you. :D

In my books, monsterguitarshop=nono. Let me browse the forums here and see if I can find my rant about my experiences with them...

Well I couldn't find it. Yay me. This is from a PM I sent to someone summing it up pretty well.

The body came to me with problems with the specs. IE: the neck joint was too small, my trem didin't fit into the cavity properly, the underneath control cavity wasn't deep enough at points, it CAME with a chip, and crack in the back of the body, and the studs do not go all the way in. I remidied pretty much all of the falts myself, saufe que les studs cavity.

I do not recommmend MGS, unless they change their specs, or if you are good with tools yourself. The price was the cheapest i've found around, and that clearly shows in the work.
Wow, you had that many issues with the body. I only recall the problem with the neck.

Regards

André

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks alot for the MGS feedback. I'm almost positive that you saved me from making a big mistake. It looks like evilbay and EKG are my main options now (short of waiting another year). Seems like now is a better time than ever to learn how to work a router (hope I spelled that right).

My main reason wanting to do my own custom project is that it is very important to me to have my setup a certain way (volume knob where it is on a fender). It also seems to be a way to get great features in a guitar for much less money (if you know what your doing).

I found an Ibanez mod with a fender style control layout (Timmons model), but it wasn't for me.

keep the feedback coming. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
fettouhi said:
Wow, you had that many issues with the body. I only recall the problem with the neck.

Regards

André
Oh if was just the neck joint, it wouldn't be so bad. But the body was very poorly done.

Also MGS has some jem bodies on ****, so make sure you know who is selling them before you buy them. I hate to say "Don't buy from 'so and so' " But I was very disappointed with the body after the initial glee of a new guitar.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts