Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody

Just Pre-ordered The ' where the wild things are' Dvd and just out of curiosity wanted to see how many others have pre-ordered it.
an addition to getting it early , all pre ordered copies get autographed by Steve :)

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I'll be ordering 2, but haven't ordered them yet. A buddy of mine got me great tickets for this tour in Atlantic City so I'm grabbing one for him as well.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I've been listening to the digital download (purchased legally with the pre-order bundle) and I have to say, the classic violin tones sound decent and, while strange in Vai's music, I mostly like it. I don't dig the distorted violin tones at all. It just doesn't sound good to me even if I can appreciate the technical prowess. I'd rather they keep the tones violins more natural (some distortion is ok) than try to make them brutal. Still, I like the album stuff I've heard so far and am really looking forward to the dvd release. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I've got the DVD (promo copy for review, as I'm interviewing Steve some time soon) and it's really good - I like it much more than the Astoria DVD. The cinematography is great and the mix is really good (though once again the rhythm guitar is far too faint - why does Steve do that on all his live recordings?). Haven't watched it all yet as I only got it yesterday and have to fit my viewing in between fatherly duties!

·
Registered
3 Posts
;) Im form Argentina, so, I have to wait a more longer to buy it!!!

Men, Steve Vai is my GOD, my reason to listen instrumental music, and my everything!!!!
I cant wait to see Steve in Buenos Aires!!!! Im going to buy the Evo-Experience ticket!!! OWWOWOWOWO and I would ask to god if He can sign my leg where is my Real Illusions tattoo!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've got the DVD (promo copy for review, as I'm interviewing Steve some time soon) and it's really good - I like it much more than the Astoria DVD. The cinematography is great and the mix is really good (though once again the rhythm guitar is far too faint - why does Steve do that on all his live recordings?). Haven't watched it all yet as I only got it yesterday and have to fit my viewing in between fatherly duties!
The DVD looks better that the Astoria you're right ... but it's something like 9 years later, isn't it :D, i think everyone is watching Astoria so many many times and there's nothing new for eveyone now...

We have to wait October 16th to get the dvd in France :twisted::twisted::twisted:
But i don't know you guys but i found that bass guitar sound is really too high on youtube videos !!! it is too much. is it the same case when you're watching the DVD for the people who already get it ?

manta.

PS : this acrylic Jem is very beautiful after considerate it ( i didn't like it when it came out on store at the beginning).

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I have missed this completely. Is it something good? I have lost all interest in Vai since Fire Garden, I bought some of the later albums but I can't find it interesting anymore. Is this worth checking out or is it still "the new Vai"?

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I have missed this completely. Is it something good? I have lost all interest in Vai since Fire Garden, I bought some of the later albums but I can't find it interesting anymore. Is this worth checking out or is it still "the new Vai"?
Its still the "new" Vai with two distorted violins... and almost no Wiener

Regards

André

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Mine came over the weekend while I was out of town but I watched a little of the DVD before crashing last night. I was pumped that it came with two signed Vai booklets. I saw up through Tender Surrender and I have to say that I like it. So far, very little Dave and that saddens me but the DVD 5.1 mix is, IMHO, better than the digital download. The violins add an interesting element without becoming too distracting. You knew Steve wouldn't let that happen. I like it the cinematography a lot better than Astoria, much less helter-skelter but still very Vai. Highly Recommended thus far although I haven't had the time/energy to watch the entire concert, that'll be later today.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I pre-ordered my signed copy from the Vai site and it arrived from America to England in under 2 days by FEDEX. Excellent service and excellent DVD. All I can say is buy it now.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Got the pre-ordered dvd today. I've only seen the first disc but so far it looks very good. Excellent quality. It's quite noticable that it's been a couple of years since the Astoria show came out. A lot more "up to date" if that's the way to put it.
I agree there's not too much Wiener in there, except for a couple of places where it's absolutely needed. Vai's prensence in the sound picture is very dominant, as of always with a dvd featuring Steve.
Anyways i'm very satisfied so far. I like the fact that there's a commentary track and a nice booklet with it. You know what you get when it's Vai, a well-crafted product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts