Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting an LP Standard DC Plus and would want to install a locking trem on it. I want my guitar to be versatile (I'm putting a single-coil in between the 'buckers) and would want it piezo equipped. The only locking trem I have found with piezos is the Double Edge Pro.

All I want to ask is that does this trem preform well? If it does, can I buy it from anywhere? Does Ibanez Rules sell it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Dont forget to file the neck down on the guitar too. This is going to be the Road King of guitars - the guitar that will do it all except play itself for you!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
as someone who is trying to track down a reasonably priced edge pro unit, i can tell you that even these are relatively scarce, let alone a double edge pro.

the only way i think you'd get one is from a parted-out guitar, and i doubt there'd be too many people parting out a rare bird like that.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah, they are very scarce on the market.
There was a Double-Edge 6 string trem(lo-pro type) in the classifieds here the other day but he wanted $350(U.S.) for it.

I've got an RG2027 with the 7 string version on it and it's an excellent trem and the piezos work great too.

The Ibanez trems are the only locking-trem systems that have ever been made with piezos fitted.
There has been mention of Floyd-Rose making a piezo version of their trem but that was a good while back and nothing has materialised so far.

I hope you don't ever plan on selling the Les Paul DC at a later date because Gibson people HATE any modifications and the guitar will be seriously de-valued.
That said, if you plan on keeping it permanently as a player then it won't really matter.

If you just wanted a piezo set-up without a trem it would be easy as there's a few replacement tunomatic style fixed bridges that you can buy that have piezo elements already fitted (like the Fishman bridge on the Slash Signature Les Paul).

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know, LR Baggs sells tremolo units with built-in piezos. These are standard tremolo units (non locking). I could always just upgrade my tuners to Sperzels.

Does anyone have any comment on those bridges?

Again, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Good luck. You can ask LR Baggs if they'll do custom saddles for an Edge for you, but that's about it - there isn't currently an aftermarket double-locking trem available.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
you know i just realized that you probably would have some trouble putting an edge in a LP for a couple of reasons:
1. the strings sit much higher on a les paul so you couldn't have a recessed edge, and even if it was sitting high up it may cause intonation issues
2. the neck angle on a les paul is completely different than that of a Jem or other strat-type (to use the most available general term) the strats/jems neck leaves the body straight out, where the LP kind of leaves the body at a bit of an angle, back towards you the player if you were holding it to play it.
In summation, there'd need to be some serious modifications done to a rather delicate set neck instrument. Which would in all likely hood render the guitar unplayable. An edge probably isn't the way to go, even though they're quite possibly one of the best trems out there it'd be impractical to do all these things so you could put an edge on your LP. There is an alternative however: there's a drop in replacement available for tune o matic equipped guitars (i plan on getting one for my sheraton, and putting one on an ibanez iceman with a sustainer, that'd be bad ass.) If you wanna try this out or look up some info on it you can go to stetsbar.com that's the site that sells this thing, they aren't cheap but let's face it, it's a better way to go than the edge. You could of course still try putting an edge on but it'd have to be sitting on top of the body, and even then the string angle may not be right, imo, i wouldn't risk it and get the easy no rout drop in replacement.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Ahh, my B. I remember seeing pics of a custom PRS of his in a Guitar Player ages ago, figured if he had a sig, it'd be through them.

Kamikaze, if you want a LP with a trem, that's a good place to start... ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
from the looks of the pics, that LP has a different neck angle than most LPs, you may. want to look into that as an alternative tho. i'll bet it'll work well for what you want to do

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
there's one going on the 'bay right now (no affiliation)... 7335423957

will be interesting to see what such a rare thing goes for.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That's one of the newer Edge-pro based models. It looks like it's been hacked out of the guitar too, all the wires are just roughly chopped!

These things can be a nightmare to wire-up at the best of times. They're easily ruined as well if any of the thin wires to the piezo elements have been broken.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PRS are overpriced and according to you guys, maybe I should stray away from the LP. Maybe I'll just go with an Ibanez RG 1820X or an EB Musicman with piezos. Well, thanks anyway guys for your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts