Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jem 555 as everyone knows from the many times I posted about it. I did get the neck customised, and it was refretted and 21 - 24 were scalloped and its great. It still doesn't play like a Jem 7 though and thats because of the Jem 7 neck. My parents won't let me buy a new Jem, but they will pay to customise this. Please I don't want to hear that it doesn't make sense because I know, but thats what they said. I wanted to ask, who should I go to that can make me a Jem 7 neck for my Jem 555? I live in Singapore and I'm moving to Melbourne in a month but I'm willing to pay for shipping and all that. Thanks a lot and I don't mean to keep posting but I just want to get this right. Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think that by the time you're done paying for the work and shipping, you'll be spending more than your guitar is worth. With the right person doing the work, it'll be a reasonable copy of a Jem7V neck, but it still won't be the guitar you want.

If the wrong person does it, then you'll have a ruined neck and a worthless guitar.

If it was me, I'd wait and save up for the real thing or at least wait for a 7V neck to come up for sale and replace your 555 neck with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'd keep an eye out for a real JEM (or RG) neck on the used market. It will likely be cheaper than having the work done by a good luthier, and you can sell the old neck to recover some cost. Or learn to love the one you have.

Your parents are trying to teach you a lesson, but they will become less interested in paying for upgrades when they find out what it will cost them (for this and future upgrades). Time to get a job, save your money, and be responsible for your own purchasing decisions. :)

Or you could learn to build necks and do the job yourself -- save some money, get it exactly the way you want it, and learn a skill in the process...

Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all of you guys. I know I seem not to make a lot of sense, I just want the nest I can get out of this guitar, because I probably won't be able to get the Jem 7 now, for another year, maybe 2. Thanks for all your help, and if anyone has anything more to help me with, please go ahead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.