Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I recently made a thread asking which marshall amp is good for heavy metal and I discoverd the marshall JVM and the JMD, the JMD being more in my budget. Im just looking for some more info on the JMD 50 watt tube head and which cab i should use if I bought it because I dont have the money for a 1960 cab so its one or the other for me lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
so I recently made a thread asking which marshall amp is good for heavy metal and I discoverd the marshall JVM and the JMD, the JMD being more in my budget.
Well, for me the best "Marshalls" of today are the Blackstar amps, they kick serious butt to the marshalls of today. Just put some decent preamp tubes (tung sol) and add some decent speakers.

This is the HT 100

Im just looking for some more info on the JMD 50 watt tube head and which cab i should use if I bought it because I dont have the money for a 1960 cab so its one or the other for me lol
You can get a decent 2x12 cab from Avatar with the speakers you like. They are great...

A blackstar tube head + avatar cab with V30s + some preamp tubes... I can bet that's less money.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am asking for info on the JMD heads not blackstar but im looking into those too, I need something that is affordable and the JMD is in my price range.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Check out Marshallforum.com
People there seem to like the JMD series
As for cabs, Im a fan of Avatar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A blackstar HT 50 head is like 600 bucks
A blackstar HT 100 head is like 680 bucks

An Avatar cab with V30s is like 450 bucks with shipping included.

If you want a combo you have the Blackstar HT 40, like 700 bucks.

I'm not a seller, but those are very competitive prices, and the amps sound great.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Dude
He doesn't want a Blackstar, let it go. It looks like he can get a JMD for $500

personally I don't blame him

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, for me the best "Marshalls" of today are the Blackstar amps, they kick serious butt to the marshalls of today. Just put some decent preamp tubes (tung sol) and add some decent speakers.

This is the HT 100

You can get a decent 2x12 cab from Avatar with the speakers you like. They are great...

A blackstar tube head + avatar cab with V30s + some preamp tubes... I can bet that's less money.
Uhmmm, so there not that great then if you have to add/change stuff to make'em good. why would I buy a cabinet and then replace the speakers?
Why not buy a cheap cab and put speakers in it? Dont say the wood, because I own a 2x12 blackstar cab, and its built no better than the peavey cab stting right next to it, as a matter of fact, I believe the Scheffields in the peavey are better than the black lable 70/80's that came in the blackstar cab.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Uhmmm, so there not that great then if you have to add/change stuff to make'em good. why would I buy a cabinet and then replace the speakers?
My advice for a cab was an Avatar with V30s (read my post)... They sound tons of better that those 70/80 blackstar cabs or any of those standar cabs many brands sell.
You can build an avatar with the speakers you like or the mix you want. V30s, retro 30s, reaper, veteran 30... your choice. Why do pick that? That will help you to fine-tune your tone.

Anyway, I hate those digital preamps...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My advice for a cab was an Avatar with V30s (read my post)... They sound tons of better that those 70/80 blackstar cabs or any of those standar cabs many brands sell.
You can build an avatar with the speakers you like or the mix you want. V30s, retro 30s, reaper, veteran 30... your choice. Why do pick that? That will help you to fine-tune your tone.

Anyway, I hate those digital preamps...
But your advice suggest you change the speakers????
What do you suggest for a pre amp?
What band do you play in? how many years experiance do you have using this equiptment your suggesting?

·
Registered
19 Posts
But your advice suggest you change the speakers????
I didn't say "change", I said "add some decent speakers" and I was talking about heads.

What do you suggest for a pre amp?
I sugested a full amp, with pre and power.

What band do you play in? how many years experiance do you have using this equiptment your suggesting?
Like 30 years playing. I have been using V30s since late 80's and I have my own colection of the late WGS, I have had Marshall heads, fender heads and combos and lots of crappy amps. For me, the blackstar for sound, versatility and price, simply rules!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Dude, he doesn't want your opinion. Piss off.

I don't have much opinion to add on the JDM since I only played it once. But I will say that what I did hear was awesome. Now, I'm more of a fan of death metal so this amp wasn't right for me, but it could achieve thrash metal, 80's metal and the Iron Maiden/Judas Priest type tones VERY well!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well I'm 43, been playing (out live) since I was 17, been playing since I was 14.
I have had more equiptment than most music stores, and still do!
I have found that what you speak of sounds great in the living room, but once you any any kind of volumn, your tone goes to sh!t period, if you want a decent live tone, you need rack gear, a head will not cut it. I have 4 sitting here that are proof!
Current set up is:
Digi-tech 2112 upgraded to the 2120 artist.
2 Rocktron 250 watt volicity amps,
into 2 4x12 Randall cabs, one loaded with celestion Red lable 70/80's the other loaded with scheffields.
This above is simple, I have had my experiance, carrying a Sun 120 watt all tube enforcer head, and about 20 pedals on a board, and the above cabs.
The tone is no ware near anything I have found in a rack set up.
I still currently play in an active band that is very well known, my information again comes from years of on the road experiance.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/CrazyTrainTheUltimateOzzyTributeBand

my set up, just behind me on the left.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I'm 43, been playing (out live) since I was 17, been playing since I was 14.
Hey, if you want publicity find another place where to put your fat humanity with satanic tattos. You can say you have had 100000000000 amps, and 999999999 gear setups, and I'm still gonna think those celestions 70/80 are simple

CRAPP!!!!!!!!!!

Because they are crap!

if you want a decent live tone, you need rack gear
Lie lie lie.

Man, find another place to promote yourself and your crappy gear.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey, if you want publicity find another place where to put your fat humanity with satanic tattos. You can say you have had 100000000000 amps, and 999999999 gear setups, and I'm still gonna think those celestions 70/80 are simple

CRAPP!!!!!!!!!!

Because they are crap!

Lie lie lie.

Man, find another place to promote yourself and your crappy gear.
:roll: been using this crappy gear for while, and get nothing but major props. I have photos of what I say and the gear, and there are people on here who know me and will vouch for me and what I say.

And your proof? other than jumping on here and spouting off at the mouth, about this and that?
I can back what I say with on the road use, you?

Not promoting myself on here? I dont have too, we have a hugh following brother, almost everyone in michigan and most of the surronding states have heard of Crazy Train. So dont be hater. ;)
Come on click on the facebook link and become a fan, you know you want to....... LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude, he doesn't want your opinion. Piss off.

I don't have much opinion to add on the JDM since I only played it once. But I will say that what I did hear was awesome. Now, I'm more of a fan of death metal so this amp wasn't right for me, but it could achieve thrash metal, 80's metal and the Iron Maiden/Judas Priest type tones VERY well!
Yeah Judas Priest and Iron maiden, 80's tones is what Im going for but I also play Paul Gilbert stuff, the JDM head I have been looking at is going for like $900 so if I get that I just need a cab unless it comes with one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And your proof? other than jumping on here and spouting off at the mouth, about this and that?
I can back what I say with on the road use, you?
I have tons of pics and videos of me and my marshall heads from the 80's. But I need to Re-take pics of the pics, because they are not electronic pics, they were take with old cameras and I have videos, but they are not AVI videos or something like that... they are VHS videos and you need something to put them.

Anyway, The difference between you and me is that you are an EGO fatass troll that doesn't like that an experience dude say the truth, that your gear is crap (because it is). I don't have to proof you anything and I don't need to put my pic in a thread that doesn't talk about me, I like my privacy online.

Ps: Do some work out, fatty and yes, your 70/80 are still CRAP!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have tons of pics and videos of me and my marshall heads from the 80's. But I need to Re-take pics of the pics, because they are not electronic pics, they were take with old cameras and I have videos, but they are not AVI videos or something like that... they are VHS videos and you need something to put them.

Anyway, The difference between you and me is that you are an EGO fatass troll that doesn't like that an experience dude say the truth, that your gear is crap (because it is). I don't have to proof you anything and I don't need to put my pic in a thread that doesn't talk about me, I like my privacy online.

Ps: Do some work out, fatty and yes, your 70/80 are still CRAP!
:D Maybe this is where you went wrong, you think there is no such thing as advanced technology, your still in the late 80's.....

And again please tell everyone on here how you used to do it, and we will tell you how its being done now, way better than "it used to be"........

I forsee your stay at jemsite to be a very short one.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
What an amazing display of dick sizes going on here! :lol:

As usual, most don't want to see them though. ;)

The OP asked about a SPECIFIC Marshall amplifier. As much as I love the Blackstar stuff too, I'm not going to butt in with "Buy a Blackstar". They are not asking about amps in general. They wan't opinions on a MARSHALL JMD! ;)

No need for everyone to go all silver-back in here!!!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts