1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

I have recently purchased a jem 7vwh.
I am lusting for more!
I am selling some old gear and with the money i make i think im gonna get a new axe!
Im thinkin' possibly a ibanez rg 550, gibson V/explorer in korina, or a 7620, or a carvin 7 of some type.

Any opinions on which one i should get will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What do you want from your next guitar?

Do you have a sound you are after, or is there a particular style you intend to play with it?

More info please. :)

Rock on!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i was really shooting after the sound of korina wood so thats why id eaither want a carvin7 or a gibson v/explorer, but i think i may want some basswood with some pickups that will make it warmer sounding so if i but an rg 550 id have to change the pickups.;)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Just so you know, korina is a trade name for a specific variety of mahogany, effectively. Theres nearly no audible difference between them from what I've read. (Can't remember the name of the site. It was a custom builders site who makes guitars where the body is bound with brass strips and between each strip there is a part of abalone.)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so you know, korina is a trade name for a specific variety of mahogany, effectively. Theres nearly no audible difference between them from what I've read. (Can't remember the name of the site. It was a custom builders site who makes guitars where the body is bound with brass strips and between each strip there is a part of abalone.)
same as mahogany?? i know its a certain type of mahogany. i hear it had of a bit warmer tone when i asked the guys at my guitar shop. and i played the old explorer they had and man it sounded nice.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
same as mahogany?? i know its a certain type of mahogany. i hear it had of a bit warmer tone when i asked the guys at my guitar shop. and i played the old explorer they had and man it sounded nice.
Yeah. It has this great rep because some early gibsonswere made of it, but truth is, they were made of it because at the time it was a helluva lot cheaper than mahogany. I wouldn't say one good korina experience is worth basing your opinion on. There are slight differences but nothing even close to significant. Most people won't even hear it.

----------------
Now playing: Megadeth - She-Wolf
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. It has this great rep because some early gibsonswere made of it, but truth is, they were made of it because at the time it was a helluva lot cheaper than mahogany. I wouldn't say one good korina experience is worth basing your opinion on. There are slight differences but nothing even close to significant. Most people won't even hear it.

----------------
Now playing: Megadeth - She-Wolf
via FoxyTunes
wow thanks for the info on that never knew.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A Prestige RG or a 550 with Breeds would sound pretty warm, or maybe a ToneZone/Air Norton combo, but if you want the mahogany bottom end, check out the RG3520Z or the RGT320Z, maybe even a J-Custom. The RG7620 is also a great guitar, see 'em on the bay all the time for cheap.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a Carvin, but i've heard lots of good reviews. I've never played one myself though.

I've played a couple of Gibson Explorers and V's, and they were all great imho. I don't know what they were made out of though, probably mahogany.

Play as many guitars as possible and go with the one that feels right for you. :)

Rock on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts