Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've finally given up on building a new strat and decided to just buy a new guitar instead. What do you guys think would be a good Jackson guitar of any model for thrash metal? Preferably something that is in the $1000 dollar or lower range. Also for that matter what do you guys think of the DK2M or the DK2T?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I really liked my DK2M. Thoguht it was a great guitar for the money, and was really nice to play. It just didn't suit my style, or I would have kept it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'd get the DK2T. Since it doesn't have a floating bridge, it's easier to tune and to change between diferent tunings, which is very common when playing metal. The DK2M looks nice too, but maybe I'm tired of floating bridges :p

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wow, you guys get someone asking for a good Jackson for thrash metal and the first response is to get a Jem. Real open minded there people. Not everyone needs a big hole in their guitar.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
LOL!

The DK2M is a nice inexpensive guitar that looks metal...whatever that is.

I'm not a fan of categorizing guitars into genre like metal. ;)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
what do you guys think of the DK2M or the DK2T?
Just answering a dudes question...yo!

Wow, you guys get someone asking for a good Jackson for thrash metal and the first response is to get a Jem. Real open minded there people. Not everyone needs a big hole in their guitar.
If the first response offends you, you should have been quicker to answer this gentleman's question. If his question was whether he should drop a hammer on his foot or a ten pound weight I would have said "neither" as a response to such a question, and politely written that "I wasn't a fan of foot smashing, but that he might want to get a used Jem"...I might be a one trick pony answerer but I meant well. Now when he goes to dksite.com he may get a better answer...;) :lol: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yngwie plays a Fender.
Muhammed Suiçmez plays an Ibanez.
Rusty Cooley plays a Dean.

Get it? It's not the guitar, it's the player that makes it METAL.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yngwie plays a Fender.
Muhammed Suiçmez plays an Ibanez.
Rusty Cooley plays a Dean.

Get it? It's not the guitar, it's the player that makes it METAL.
Well he specifically asked about Jackson guitars. And there are some guitars definitely not made for metal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's not that I'm trying to say that only Jacksons can are the only guitar for metal or anything, it's just that I REALLY like Jacksons.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Asking which Jackson is good for metal is like asking which Ferrari is good for driving really fast.

Jackson's are all geared and targeted at heavy rock and metal players. Unlike Ibanez, you won't find any Jackson brand jazz boxes, for example.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "the one you plug into a high gain amp". ;)

Any Pro series or better should have no problems bringing the brootalz, but if it were me, and I had unlimited money, I'd go for a USA Select SL2H MAHQ Soloist.

Rock on!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Best way to find out? Try the guitars out. Shop around, read the reviews etc. But it all boils down to what feels and sounds good to you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Go with the sharpest pointiest guitar that smokes when the strings play an open e chord. If it smokes then its metal! No smoke then move on to the next guitar.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So, I've finally given up on building a new strat and decided to just buy a new guitar instead. What do you guys think would be a good Jackson guitar of any model for thrash metal? Preferably something that is in the $1000 dollar or lower range. Also for that matter what do you guys think of the DK2M or the DK2T?
I have a few Jacksons including a DK2. My advice is to get a DK2T or change the trem to an original FR if you get the DK2, because the Jackson trem just isn't stable enough IMO.

Any Pro series or better should have no problems bringing the brootalz, but if it were me, and I had unlimited money, I'd go for a USA Select SL2H MAHQ Soloist.

Rock on!
I second that as I have a SL2H-MAH with a flamed maple cap. It's definitely a great guitar for metal, and probably my favorite in the herd. It just plays and sounds GREAT! If you go a little higher than $1000, you may be lucky and score one used and in good condition.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts