Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Speedabob 
#1 ·
I've been meaning to get a neck pickup, but im not sure which one will suit my needs!
i'm looking for a Yngwie/Romeo type of tone
this is going into my RG550, which currently has a Tone Zone in the bridge
Please help :D

#2 ·
As cliche as the TZ/AN combo is, I think the Air Norton makes a great neck pickup in 550's.

But remember, Yngwie is using single coils in the neck. You might also have pretty good luck with the Humbucker from Hell. Duncan Distortion in the neck might also suit your needs, because it's a pretty heavy duty pickup that will match with the TZ, yet it still has a little bit of a treble bite for a neck pickup.

#5 ·
air norton, then coil tap it to get the single coil tones. it makes for a fat single coil...just make sure the neck coil is the one that's hot when you tap it.

the paf joe is a really good choice. a little stroked down from an air norton, but sounds very good. more well rounded than the fat air norton, which is really fat and smooth without mud. the joe has more air around it and has great pick attack for a neck pickup. so its pretty much a toss up on those 2.

rich

#11 ·
I used the Tone Zone/HS-3/HFH setup in an Alder bodied RG type guitar and it kicked much ass.

AirNorton in the neck to me is way to mushy in the treble, everything bleeds together past the 5th fret.

PAF Joe is alittle to Vintage for my taste.

Breed neck sounds like the AirNorton should have sounded imho. Go this if you like thick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.