Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking around and these were the ones that I liked the most.

RGT42BP: I havent played it but im hoping its just like the S520EX
Features:

Neck through construction
Maple neck
Alder body
Bound rosewood fretboard
Locking vibrato in recessed cavity
Dual open-coil humbuckers

S520EX: The dude at the guitar store said this would be a good choice. I played it and it felt alot like the RG321. The only proplem I have with this one is the way it looks. I like the RGs better.
Features:

3-piece Wizard II neck
Mahogany body
Jumbo frets
ZR bridge
BZINF1 neck pickup
IBZINF2 bridge pickup

RG321: I played it and it sounded fine to me.
Features:

Wizard II neck
3-piece maple neck
Mahogany body
24 jumbo frets
25-1/2" scale
Bound rosewood fingerboard
Fixed bridge
IBZ INF3 (H) Neck PU
IBZ INF4 (H) Bridge PU
Pearl dot inlay

So which one of these would be the best for playing metal?

Is the S520 and the RGT42 kind of the same? Ive played the S520 and it sounded awsome, but I just dont like the body style. I think the RGs are the best looking Ibanez guitars. Another thing is that the S520 costs around $600, and the RGT42 is $400. Im just looking for a RG thats sounds and feels similar to the S520.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dude, the RGT is a steal at that price. I have one, the trem and pickups aren't that great, but those can be replaced later. I'd say go for the RGT42.

·
Registered
422 Posts
personally I'd go for a higher-end RG, but the RGT42 is a neck through (which I like better) and it plays pretty darn good. So out of the two, I'd get the RG.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd go for the S. I have one myself (a s470DXQM) and I love it. The ZR was my main reason not to get an prestige rg, I just don't think it's worth it. But I've played the RGT, And it sure is sweet. Do what you and your wallet want.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The RGT42 would be the one for me. Its neck-thru, so your going to get cracking tone and good sustain. I have heard very good things about them from people all-round. The resale value should hold-up too.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
ZJH said:
Dude, the RGT is a steal at that price. I have one, the trem and pickups aren't that great, but those can be replaced later. I'd say go for the RGT42.
My thoughts exactly. The RGT42 really is a steal but it would be more of a steal with an Edge Pro not a Edge Pro II.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IBANEZ RGT42HH Black Pearl

Features:

• Wizard II (neck-thru)

• 5pc. Maple/ Walnut Neck Material

• 24/Jumbo frets

• Bound Rosewood Finger Board

• Edge Pro II bridge

• IBZ INF1 (H) Neck PU

• IBZ INF2 (H) Bridge PU

• Dot Inlay

How is this any different than RGT42BP? I can get a good price on this one, but I dont really know why its any different than the first one.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Flobanez said:
Agreed. Sabers are cool. ;)
Oh yeah baby. I gots the S470DXQ in charcoal brown.mmmmmmmmmmm
In my opinion it plays faster than any rg that i have tried, But they both have Wizard II necks? I dont get it. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of frets.

·
Registered
148 Posts
-STRAT- said:
IBANEZ RGT42HH Black Pearl

Features:

• Wizard II (neck-thru)

• 5pc. Maple/ Walnut Neck Material

• 24/Jumbo frets

• Bound Rosewood Finger Board

• Edge Pro II bridge

• IBZ INF1 (H) Neck PU

• IBZ INF2 (H) Bridge PU

• Dot Inlay

How is this any different than RGT42BP? I can get a good price on this one, but I dont really know why its any different than the first one.
There isn't anything different. And just in case you missed it, it has a basswood body, so it'd be a bit heavier than alder. But yeah, just to clear things up, there's nothing different. In fact, the model name never had "HH" anywhere in it. It's always been RGT42BP (or with the new ones, RGT42DXFM, with a flamed maple veneer).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts