Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided to save up for a new guitar.

I originally had my mind set on a Mirage Blue Rg1570, but I recently saw a picture of Mr. Vai with his Bad Horsie Jem, and I decided that would be a wonderful guitar to have as well. But seeing that I'm not made of money, it's gonna have to be one or the other. The Jem is about 1200 more, but I've played my friends 7vwh, and it was the most beautiful guitar I've ever played.

I guess I'm just looking for your opinions on which one to go with. But, if i have the chance within the next month or two, I'll most likely go with the BRMR.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just remember, a early(87-89) RG550 with evos plays VERY close
to a jem.At least the early ones do......
Much cheaper as well.I guess it's all about how much you want
to spend.Jems hold their value very well......
Just food for thought ;)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Also, keep in mind the that VWH is alder while the BRMR is basswood. Don't make any assumptions about the sound based on your experience with the VWH.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
littlewing777 said:
So I've decided to save up for a new guitar.

I originally had my mind set on a Mirage Blue Rg1570, but I recently saw a picture of Mr. Vai with his Bad Horsie Jem, and I decided that would be a wonderful guitar to have as well. But seeing that I'm not made of money, it's gonna have to be one or the other. The Jem is about 1200 more, but I've played my friends 7vwh, and it was the most beautiful guitar I've ever played.

I guess I'm just looking for your opinions on which one to go with. But, if i have the chance within the next month or two, I'll most likely go with the BRMR.
I have both the VWH and the BRMR, and I found I like the BRMR the best. I've been recording lately, and have used the BRMR almost exclusivly so far, Haven't used the VWH for recording yet. I liked the tone I got from the breeds better. Go BRMR and you'll be happy !

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hey littlewing777..

Try a forum search for plenty of threads for 'Which guitar to buy' Since loads of people have made threads asking the good points of popular Jems such as the 7vwh and the BRMR.

I've got a Jem7vwh and it is an absolutely fantastic guitar. There's not much i can say about it really other than you probably cannot find a nicer looking, sounding, playing guitar around in my opinion.

The differences between the Jem7vwh are the body material and pickups. The BRMR has Breed pickups (these pickups are also on the discontinued Jem7DBK), i've never used them but the general description is that they're more mellower than the Evolution pickups of the 7v. Another obvious difference is the finish of the Bad Horsie, this is down to you but i'm not really a fan of the mirror finish, i think the Bad Horsie looks a bit cheap :(

If you're not completely set on a Jem and are not prepared to pay the high price tag (No one would blame you) then the RG1570 would be a great guitar with a pickup upgrade, alternatively, you could look for a second hand higher in the range Prestige RG such as the discontinued RG3120 (Mahogany body, 2 Dimarzio Paf Pros, Lo-pro trem, fantastic guitar). But if you've got loads of money then go for a Jem7vwh since you will really not regret it :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Duff Beer Man said:
Depends on what you want for tone, remember that the BMRB doesnt have the same pups as the 7vwh.
Or the same wood, and probably not even the same bridge...

Doesnt have the same inlay work either :lol: (at least that one doesnt affect the sound ;))

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'd say go for a VWH. I had a DBK, and I didn't really like the breeds. I suppose you could put some EVOs in it if you felt it necessary (depending on your tastes) but it's still not going to sound or feel the same.

There's a good reason that Steve still plays EVO more than anything else Ibanez has made....

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have a jem7vwh. I really love it and I would not part with it, and if it were stolen from me, I would track the ****er down and lock him in my closet and feed him moldy bread while I research torture techniques.

I bought it new so I paid quite a bit for it, but save up and get something you really like.

Also I must add, the Evolutions are best overdriven but they can also pull off a usable clean tone (and more so with the middle pickup combinations), which makes them very versatile guitars. Most high output pickups have no clean tone!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
unique77 said:
I would go with the 7v. Soon as i got it, was true love.

Ryan
As soon as I went to guitar center and had seen that the jem had been bought, and after you didnt call me for a few days, I put it all together and I knew right away. You also said that if I got a 7vwh you would try to destroy me cause it would no longer be unique, being the only person we know of who has a jem. I don't forget things like that easily.

You had the problem with the g string up near the 20th fret(s). Then you went back to guitar center and traded the one you had for a different one, and you continued to tell me it was the best guitar you've ever played.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ha! I can't believe i didn't catch it was you who posted this Mr. David aka Littlewing777. Ha, I remember all of that. It is true though, i get the guitar of my dreams, you see it, then wanna get it, then its like, now its not as special because now someone else has one. It's just no fun having the same guiatar as someone else you play with frequently, i hate it. Haha, but the guitar is so nice, i can't tell you not to get one anymore.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.