Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
definitely the straight black one. the diamond plate clashed with the vine and is too busy for an already busy guitar.

~K

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Now that I think of it, I've seen that UV posted on here before somewhere.
It looks familiar.
Oh and like I said before....black one.;)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The black defenitely. The diamond plate just dont look "right". I think they can look very nice and tasteful on the right axe (e.g. an Explorer), but not on that pink UV.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I know it's been said lots already, but BLACK is the only way to go for this one.

I love diamond-plate and i love guitars but i'm afraid the two just don't go together(imho that is):).

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Is that real diamond plate, or the plastic 'imitation' diamond plate that looks like almond bark?

Either way, i think the straight black looks better. Neon pink + green pickups + yellow knobs + pearl vine is pretty gaudy as it is. Add diamond plate to the mix, and it's just too much chaos on one guitar.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Didn't Steve have a mother-of-toiletseat pickguard on Green Meanie? I am pretty certain someone on jemsite had a UV-GR with a mother-of-toiletseat pickguard. So clashing motives are part of the JEM/Universe lore.

It certainly is not my cup of tea, I can appreciate the workmanship that went went into this, but I feel the neon and vine combination is hard enough to swallow without the addition of that diamond plate.

For me a chrome or MOP/MOT vine goes with a black or chrome guitar. If you want a classic look, it may also suit a classic [email protected] or LP type color combo (sunburst, deep red, goldtop etc.) But if you go for neon you have to go all the way and put pyramids on!

The JEM777VDY and VSK only work by matching vines to body color. But anyone with the image of the pyramid neons in their head will feel something is off. The VBK and GMC work because they are much more understated. The VWH and VBSL take trailer-park chic to the next level.

Right now you have a neck theme, and a body theme, which clash.
The only way to rescue the look of this custom Uni is to tie the neck theme into the body theme by putting a custom pickguard on which links the two themes.
One way of doing this would be to use a three-ply pickguard, either black/pink/black or black/MOT/black, perhaps even mother-of-toiletseat/black/pink and cut a (vine-) motive in the top layer. The engraving would let the middle or even bottom layer shine through. Look at the JEM10 for inspriration on the engraving.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
nightfiend14 said:
the DBK looks decent with diamond plate pattern, but it really depends on the metal used for it.
The ones with smaller eeer... "thingys" look better, but this one's are just too big....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts