Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still experimenting with various setups for my RG.

Currently, I have 500k pots, but may change either one or both (volume and tone) to 250k, in an attempt to tone down the harshness of the Evolution.
(My head hurts from all of the info I have read over the last two days--Google is your friend...and enemy!)

What do you folks use?
Which pot has the most impact on changing tone (I read somewhere that a lower resistance pot will "bleed more highs to ground", but it is unclear to me which pot--volume or tone--the poster referred to.)?

Bob

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You might find that because the 250k pot reduces only "higher highs" the high upper midrange scream from the Evo's is still there, but with a slight reduction in pick attack. But a lot of that depends on your amp/preamp. Some amps respond to certain frequencies more/less so maybe the 250k is just what you need. Volume pot is the most influential BTW.

For me, rather than "tame" the Evo's I just recognize them for what they are and let them be themselves. That's why I don't own any! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frankfalbo said:
You might find that because the 250k pot reduces only "higher highs" the high upper midrange scream from the Evo's is still there, but with a slight reduction in pick attack. But a lot of that depends on your amp/preamp. Some amps respond to certain frequencies more/less so maybe the 250k is just what you need. Volume pot is the most influential BTW.

For me, rather than "tame" the Evo's I just recognize them for what they are and let them be themselves. That's why I don't own any! :)
*Snicker*, yeah.,..I know I can't make a silk wallet out of a sow's tail.

I may try it to see what happens.
Though not a huge project, it does entail some work, so I thought I would ask for some advice first.

I did some rudimentary recording...the PAF Pro sounded very nice...but, the Evo sounded far nicer than I thought it would.
When playing, I get that harsh/spikey thing going...but recorded, I did not hear that problem. Strange!

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts