Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I use a Lexicon MPX550 for most of my effects, I connect it to the send/return ports of 2xMarshall JCM2000 to get a sweet stereo sound. However the pre-amp stage of the JCM2000's introduces a lot of hum to the signal, can anyone recommend a stereo noise gate in a 19" rack format, that does the job but doesnt cost the earth, or kill sustain! I dont need compression. I've been warned off the Behringer products but a few companies are pushing DBX products and the Drawmer DS201, anyone tried these or suggest anythign better?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, looks like an amazing bit of kit however its not true independant chanels, looks like chanel 1 is designed for instrument - preamp and chanel 2 for fx loop, dont know if I'd need 2 of these then as I run 2 amps and pass each fx loop through the Lexicon ot get stereo delay/reverb etc. (Gonna be expensive!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run the Decimator, and it is an incredible gate, but for your setup you would need 2 of them because the 2 channels are quite different. Here is what ISP says about it

The Decimator ProRackG is the only system in the world designed with two channels of single ended noise reduction configured specifically for high gain guitar applications allowing one channel to deliver noise reduction for the guitar directly and a second channel to eliminate amplifier gain noise. Channel one eliminates the 50 or 60 cycle hum, buzz, stage light noise and any other noise picked up directly by the instrument. The ProRack channel one output drives the front end of your guitar amplifier and eliminates all of the input noise picked up by the guitar. The control circuit of the second channel detects and tracks the guitar signal directly while the signal processing audio chain is patched into the effects loop of the high gain guitar amplifier.

I have used the DBX 166xl which sells in the $250 to $300 range, the DBX 266xl which sells in the $150 to $200 range, and the 1066 which sells in the $400 to $450 range ..... read on them, but here is my taking on each one ....

166xl ... 2 channels, best suited for guitar
266xl ... 2 channels, better suited for vocals
1066 ... 2 channels really aimed at back of house PA enforcement

I think their products are very transparent, very adaptable, easy to set up and use and have very good price points between them ... they all do offer compression and limiting but those attirbutes can be adjusted to minimum settings as to not affect you.

Hope this helps out.

kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.