Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! A friend is selling his old RG he bought in 2000. I’m not into Ibanez but I’m thinking about joining the club.

Do you know which RG model is this one? I have been checking the catalogs and can’t find anything. The guy said it’s 100% original.
The serial code is this one: F9941716

Thank you

Guitar accessory Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Wood

·
Registered
141 Posts
F99 means Fujigen 1999, so it's not a RG350 which were only MIJ from 88-90.

I would guess it's a 1999 RG470 but the pickguard is throwing me off so I don't really know.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I think it's some kind of 400 series, several of which were still made in Japan in the 90s, like this one is. Could be a spot model for a store? Never seen one like this that's dark purple with white pickups and a white pearloid scratchplate...

It's not a 470 as those were rear routed, and this one isn't. The next logical one would be a 450 but haven't seen one like it, and I don't know if they were even made in the late 90s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry I didn't see the made in japan 😔

it's a 450, mij, gotoh, trs

Anyway I'd never buy something with the TRS

It's not a 470 as those were rear routed, and this one isn't. The next logical one would be a 450 but haven't seen one like it, and I don't know if they were even made in the late 90s.
Yes, were made, there are the rg470AH - rg470BX... they are similar, some are from the '99

EDIT

same model?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Interesting, it does look like the same model. As usual, Ibanez with slightly off-beat specs which never appear in catalogues.

Regarding the different model stamps on the neck vs. body, this is pretty common. Since the 450AH was kinda similar to this mystery 450, it's not surprising that Ibanez was bolting the same neck to (slightly) different models.

The Japanese Lo-TRS is pretty decent, it's the Korean Lo-TRS II that not so great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts