Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I found this JEM for sell (~1.200 €). The seller claims it's a 91 BFP77. There is no image from the headstock
It seems someone painted it white and swapped pickups or just swapped the whole pickguard.

My questions:
1) Admitting it's only painted over, is it possible to recover some of its initial beauty ? Stripping the white coat and polishing what's underneath ?
2) Can you put a price tag on the guitar, assuming it is in good player conditions ? A bit less than a recent SFG ?
3) Imho the "modding" was a horrible idea. Have you stumbled about other acts of "modding" on high-end guitars ?

Thx

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Others with more experience than me will know better about restoration.

The value - hard to know without knowing your local market. But I'd assume that it's a fairly hard to sell guitar given that it's been modded pretty poorly. Therefore if you're tempted negotiate hard. An original BFP neck alone has quite some value. But less so if they've destroyed the headstock and if the refret isn't well done.

Re: modded high end guitars I found this PGM100 in Japan for less than Y30,000 back in 2005. I had to put a lot of work into oiling and polishing up the body, stick a replacement edge in it. But now it's one of the best played guitars I've ever had. So people do weird things. And sometimes it is possible to recover treasure from it.. Just don't pay collectors prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
When it comes to stripping the paint, as long as it CAN be stripped there is a chance you could bring it back. If it was painted with lacquer for example, it's strippable. If it was painted with any type of poly paint forget it. Poly isn't really strippable because it is essentially plastic. Solvents do not really break it down and you would have to sand the new finish off, running a huge rust of eating through the original clear coat. That's saying it wasn't sanded down past the clear already. It's risky, if your plans are to buy it to restore it back to it's original appearance... Buy low, you have no idea what is under that white paint. For all you know it could be a completely different JEM body all together.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
My questions:
1) Admitting it's only painted over, is it possible to recover some of its initial beauty ? Stripping the white coat and polishing what's underneath ?
2) Can you put a price tag on the guitar, assuming it is in good player conditions ? A bit less than a recent SFG ?
3) Imho the "modding" was a horrible idea. Have you stumbled about other acts of "modding" on high-end guitars ?
1. Impossible to tell without close inspection but I suspect unlikely that what is underneath will have survived unscathed. Also hard to tell how good/bad that refinish is.
2. The only answer to that is, what is it worth to you? For me that would come down to how well it plays, any other issues etc. I agree with previous comments that you should aim for a low price though.
3. I am completely in favour of people modifying their guitars to fit their needs etc, but, assuming this really was BFP, whoever did this should be shot!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx to all for your helpful input.
Maple neck and white body just feels wrong. Doesn't matter how well it was done. The seller said, the paint job was done by a professional luthier. Whatever, I feel the pain of his poor soul, when he painted that BFP body.

And he also painted the pickups white. Orginal BFP pickups painted white !

That's bad Mojo. I think this Jem is gone forever

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also second this idea! Specially since you're from Lisbon, and we have a lot of interesting fabrics 'round here (não é verdade? ;))
Haha, nice try 😂
I don't know, 1.200 € for a 30 year old Jem without any collector value, just as a project, has to be well thought about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honestly I would never consider something like that, I have a really hard time spending more than 1k on a guitar specially if it's been butchered like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems we all agree:
Figuratively speaking, "the victim was "butchered" and "assuming this really was BFP, whoever did this should be shot! " :oops:

Anyway, the guitar was sold today just after 3 days.

·
Registered
RG 550, PGM 300, S5470, RS315,
45 Posts
Gutted someone has done this to an original bfp! Agreed whoever did this needs shot!
I've always wanted an original bfp but the mint ones are a bit pricey for my budget.
I'd say buy it at a price that you expect the original finish to be unsalvageable!
I mean the neck and plate alone had got to be worth 800-1000 USD and it's still a Jem. So there is still value in it. Plus it should still be a great player right ;)

Potentially you could get some kind of vinyl wrap based on the original bfp design put onto the guitar (not sure about Ibanez copy write there tho!).

Either that or keep it as is or do your own thing with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Surely you don't worry about some dings, because the white paint protects the original fabric.....

I never saw the headstock. I have a strange feeling that this will give me some serious chills.

He wants 1250 €, that´s 1.500 $. And there is the refret, done my a "professional".

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't worry about dings etc. But for an original bfp (and their prices) I'd like it I'n decent original condition at least.

Provided they just painted straight over the original design!
Chances are it would have been sanded back so that the white paint would stay on.
With having the guitar and scraping the white paint off on top its impossible to know. Hence me saying assume the original design is probably not restorable.

I'd have definitely asked for headstock photos.

1250 € doesn't sound like a terrible price tbh

If that neck was sold on its own I'd have snapped it up in a heart beat.
Was this for sale in evilbay?

·
Registered
45 Posts
100% sure I'm NOT gonna buy it.
Just go ahead. You need the link?
Cheers but I've found it now.

I figure selling the parts alone would make more than the asking price.

So if I do buy it I may just keep the neck and part the rest out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts