Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bridge evo and single coil on my 2002 VSBL are slowly turning yellow. Any children of the 70s or 80s have seen this happen to their Stormtrooper action figures. Does anyone know of a good way to return them to a nice white? The bridge is fine because it's a new EVO2

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hmmmm

Not too sure on how to get it back to whiteness.
You probably need to get something that will combine
agitation and oxidation.

It might work, then again it might not.

Maybe it's best to keep the yellowish pickup cover aside in the case
and get replacement ones for playing while holding on to the
original ones for original/value....

Good luck with that one

Squeeg

·
Banned
29 Posts
Yellowing of plastic isn't a good thing. Unfortunately for you, it is virtually impossible to remove. I would recommend replacement if that's an option for you. As stated earlier, keep the originals for value down the road, but go out and pick up a bad a$$ Duncan Screamin' Demon. They sound soooo much hotter. Nothing beats Duncans in the Pick Up world. Not even evolutions.

It's the best $100 you'll ever spend on a guitar (unless you buy your guitar strippers..... That would definately be the best $100 spent on a guitar)

·
Registered
970 Posts
juan_castillio said:
Yellowing of plastic isn't a good thing. Unfortunately for you, it is virtually impossible to remove. I would recommend replacement if that's an option for you. As stated earlier, keep the originals for value down the road, but go out and pick up a bad a$$ Duncan Screamin' Demon. They sound soooo much hotter. Nothing beats Duncans in the Pick Up world. Not even evolutions.

It's the best $100 you'll ever spend on a guitar (unless you buy your guitar strippers..... That would definately be the best $100 spent on a guitar)
It's all a matter of opinion and preference. On this board especially, many people will disagree with you. I've got Duncans and Evos; I like Evos more. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
I don't actually think your pickups are turning yellow at all. I only had a 7VWH for about a year, but one of my humbuckers and the two knobs were CLEARLY more cream colored than the other two pickups. I mentioned it here, and several other 7VWH owners took good long looks at their guitars and saw the exact same thing; some pickups and knobs were pure white and some were cream, and some guys like me had a mixture of parts. Mine was a '98, btw. I spoke to a few and almost had a trade for a set of pickups to at least get two of our guitars matched color wise (either all white or all vaguely cream colored) but it didn't end up panning out.
Some of the pickups and knobs just aren't perfect white, and if you don't really hold up the guitar and stare at the pickups, you might not notice it. If all of your pickups and knobs are the same shade, I think your only option is to replace them all. If you have a mix, maybe someone here would consider swapping a neck Evo or whatever for like if they're also mismatched.

jim

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim you could be right. I bought this guitar used this fall, so the pups were already that color when I got it so I haven't actually witnessed a color change. It only became apparent to me once I put in a new white evo2. The neck and middle pickup are slightly different colors from one another, so I figured it was due to aging. The pickgaurd however is still perfectly white.

Jem#5150 - you can see my review of the Evo2 here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=395648&postcount=20

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.