Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the UVMC was the best Vai model ever made, and with a 50,000 ann. and a 20th ann coming up I think it would be awesome to see a UVMC reissue.

A few things would have to be noted to make it true to the original.
First, it would have to have a Lo-Pro 7. If Satch can have an original edge on his JS2PRM than Vai can surely have a Lo-Pro on his UV. Not to mention that the K7 still comes with a Lo-pro so it can't be that hard for Ibanez to do.

Second, it would have to have a one-piece neck with a tsung-oil finish. None of this multi piece business, just a straight up one-piece neck with the original profile.

Third, production numbers would be best kept to 777. Understandibly the 7 string market isn't what it used to be so if the production was kept low and the price was high the UV's would find themselves in the hands of the fans that truly want them. Without a doubt if the production was limilted to 777 worldwide, most dealers would sell out before they even got them in stock...cough JS2PRM cough...

Fourth, it would be really sweet if they were all ATD dipped. It would be best of the swirls weren't as aggressive as the DNA's but smoother and more true the original UVMC's with some nice bright colors.

Some other points I have thought of was, maybe a nice blacklight pickguard would be nice. Also I wouldn't mind seeing an AANJ. And for sure a nice Ibanez limited edition flight case would be mandatory.

So, who else is on board? Anyone else have any good ideas I might have missed for a UVMC reissue?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm up for a 6 string version. I don' think there's much of a demand for 7 string guitars right now, now that the whole 7 string craze has died down somewhat. Vai himself to my knowledge, hardly even touches his 7 string these days. I could be wrong though.

As for a one piece neck, I feel that the current necks are stronger than ever. You have to have more pieces especially when dealing with such a thin neck profile. The old style jem/uv necks were never one piece per se, there was still the scraf joint nearer to the headstock.

I'm up for the original profile as well. The old style jem profile to me is probably the most comfortable neck I've ever set my hands on! I really dislike the profile on the newer jems, the wizard style is just way too thin for my liking. But then again, neck profile choice has a lot to do with demand and furthermore since this is afterall a signature model, Steve still has the last word on it.

ATD dipped would be killer. However I would like to see every single swirl be approved by Vai himself. I've seen a couple of really bad swirls, MC, GMC, PMC and even DNAs. Some are really nice, some just look like crap. Well it's all ice cream, you can never satisfy everyone especially when it comes to guitars.

I personally with my current impression of ibanez as a guitar maker, would not put down my money for a jem/uv 20th. The quality control has just really put me off so much that I probably would never buy another "new" ibanez. I've seen brand new jems and UVs with out right flaws. What totally ended the whole ibanez game for me was the corrosion on my jem90 pickguard. Small issue, a pickguard, but you don't expect a flaw like this to happen when you put down your money on a guitar with a $2999.99 list price.

Get your act together guys.

I apologize for digressing. *Rant mode off*

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris From Singapore. said:
I'm up for a 6 string version. I don' think there's much of a demand for 7 string guitars right now
The six string version was called the DNA. And no there isn't a huge demand for 7 string guitars but I guarantee they would sell all 777 at the 4k-5k mark almost overnight.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
A UVMC reissue? I'd rather see something fresh. It was a bold and unique finish at the time - why not do a new UV to reflect that spirit of breaking away from finishes that have already been done than a reissue?

And honestly, another low-run pricey "collectable" from Ibanez is the last thing we need.

-D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I dont see it happening. Next year is the jem anniversary, not the UV. If they actually make an UV20th, I doubt they will go this way. So far ibanez never conmemorated the annivarsary of any model with a reissue (except may be for the FP, wich as a matter of fact you can hardly say it was out of production before the "15th annyversary model", because it was still available in japan).

Finally, 777 UVMCs are a lot of UVMC. If you think there are about 1000-1100 out there, and only the best of them can bring in above 3K, I really dont think that dealers would run out fo them any time soon at a list price of 5K or more. Remember the DNA? the first swirl available in 7 years? in the form of a jem... their most succesfull model? Well, they didnt exactly "sold out", I even think there are a couple of brand new DNAs in the hand of a couple of dealers.... thats 5 years after, and they were nowhere near 777, as a matter of fact I think there were 300.

The JS2 sold out because they made VERY VERY few of them. But, If you increase the number of available UVMC by 70%, I hardly believe they could sell them at that price point.

Besides, and this is my subjective opinion, why would you pay 4,5 or 6K for a reissue of a guitar when you can buy one of the original "real things" for around 2-3,5K? I know I wouldnt....

·
Banned
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ That's easy for you to say because you already have 2 UVMC's.

Personnaly I would rather pay the cash for a new one and pick out a decent swirl than to send money to somebody in a foreign country with a beat up, crappy, faded MKR with a cliplock installed.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
RCB said:
Remember the DNA? the first swirl available in 7 years? in the form of a jem... their most succesfull model? Well, they didnt exactly "sold out", I even think there are a couple of brand new DNAs in the hand of a couple of dealers.... thats 5 years after, and they were nowhere near 777, as a matter of fact I think there were 300.

The DNA sold out, to dealers. The only ones left in dealer stock are there for a reason, overpriced. The ones that were slow to sell were for a reason, usually, too much money for the swirl [there were some undesirable paterns].

That said, there's no way in hell they could sell 777 of them at inflated collector prices. And, there's no way they would do the process these days for any less.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
phlame said:
^^ That's easy for you to say because you already have 2 UVMC's.

Personnaly I would rather pay the cash for a new one and pick out a decent swirl than to send money to somebody in a foreign country with a beat up, crappy, faded MKR with a cliplock installed.
I think that the ATDs are the one to trend to fade. Im not sure though.... and BTW there are exclent japanese swirsl, although its true that in average ATDs are a lot better than than japanese swirls. The swirl I liked most was a jap swirl that Rich had for sale.

Finally if you are comparing MKRs to ATD only by pics, you probably dont have an accurate idea of how they look in person. MKRs just look a lot less alive than they really are in pics. Just as an example, a couple of weeks ago I had the chance to see a DNA and though the swirl was better and I liked the colour palette better than my UVMC, they both looked equally "alive" in person. Another example, Ive already seen a PMC in person, and I like my UVs better.

Again, generally I like ATDs swirls better, but its not always the case.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Possibly a Jem PMC reissue for the 20th?
Now, THAT I could see.....and I belive they would sell out immediately.
Wouldn't it be nice if Ibanez floated that idea to see what kind of response they'd get. ...Sign up somewhere on line with a minimal deposit- of course returned if they decide not to do it.....ahhhh, to dream.....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Drew said:
A UVMC reissue? I'd rather see something fresh. It was a bold and unique finish at the time - why not do a new UV to reflect that spirit of breaking away from finishes that have already been done than a reissue?

And honestly, another low-run pricey "collectable" from Ibanez is the last thing we need.

-D
I would like to see a reissue also, but you're right. It will be another low-run pricey "collectable" from Ibanez (that's the last thing we need). A new finish such a quilted top, or maybe a pearl swirl instead of the flourecents would be nice. :D

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If they did make it, the production would be more like 77, not 777, and at least 5k price. Personally, I find the DNA swirls much more attractive than (almost all of) the UVMC swirls. Time will tell if they fade away as badly. Vai rarely plays a UV or even a DNA these days (as I have seen anyway). He seems to be past his swirl days, and I doubt Ibanez has much interest in bringing it back.

There are plenty of other new things they could do with finishes and hardware though. I'd like to see something new. Of course, it would be nice to have a new-design normally-priced production-volume model in addition to the collector-market special-editions. I doubt that will come though. The changes will show up in the 6-string arena. But that's what customization is for.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
phlame said:
Understandibly the 7 string market isn't what it used to be so if the production was kept low and the price was high the UV's would find themselves in the hands of the fans that truly want them.
Wrong. Theyd end up in collector's hands, theyd rest in cases, and very few would get actually played with (let alone gigged with)...

Ibanez never did reissues... the new chrome JS maybe, but even that one's different...

I think they will come up with something at around 6k, hopefully really nice, "elegant" looking, not "too" over the top...

And forget about the one piece necks... look at the DNA, when they made those it was a stock DBK neck with a great inlay... I wouldnt hold my breath for old trems either...

Itll just be whatever the stock Jem of the moment is, with a cool commemorative finish, and a huuuuge price tag...

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I believe they should never reissue any model. That is what makes the UVMC highly sort after. I looked for 5 years before I found one and it is still the only one I have ever seen in the flesh.

I'd like to see them release a nice QM top UV. However, I will never buy any new Ibanez because I just can't stand the new trems.

I also think the last 3 Jems to be released are a far cry from the older ones. I have a VWH and a BFP and would buy an older model in the drop of a hat but wouldn't touch the last 3.

Again this is just my opinion.

Sanchez

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.