Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to refinishing, and I'm in the market to have one of my Ibbys swirled.

Who are some of the best U.S.-based swirlers out there today that I should consider?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hmm. Okay, let me ask this question a slightly different way...

I'm thinking of having A Swirled Apart swirl one of my Ibbys: https://www.facebook.com/A-Swirled-Apart-114005826727483

His work looks pretty amazing.

Anyone know of any reason I shouldn't do business with him, or have recommendations for different/better swirlers that I should check out instead?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks! Knowing who NOT to use is definitely helpful as well.

Care to elaborate? Did you have a bad experience with them?
Cliff Notes version

- A price and timeline of 6 weeks was agreed upon
- I sent him the body. When he confirmed receipt of the body, I sent him payment
- 22 weeks and a whole bunch of drama later, he says I owe him more money
- PayPal refunded me the payment I sent him
- He kept my body and rubbed the fact that he did, in my face

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cliff Notes version

- A price and timeline of 6 weeks was agreed upon
- I sent him the body. When he confirmed receipt of the body, I sent him payment
- 22 weeks and a whole bunch of drama later, he says I owe him more money
- PayPal refunded me the payment I sent him
- He kept my body and rubbed the fact that he did, in my face
You're not alone. Unfortunately, I've had more experiences like that than I care to recount, hence my trepidation. This field seems to be filled with "questionable" characters.

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
Does anyone know where Darren is these days and whether he's even swirling anymore?

That's not a snide remark, it's a genuine question!

·
Vendor
26,452 Posts
Darren is just fine. He sells preswirled bodies on his facebook page when he has them done and ready. To get custom work, don't send him projects. send his something all he has to do is dip and send back, if you do that you'll get fast turnaround times. He's a swirler, not a patcher, scraper, fixer. Send something ready to swirl or be prepared for a long wait. Make it easy on him and it'll be an easy turnaround.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Help me out a bit, because I haven’t been very active here on the forums lately...

Who is “Darren”? Last name? Business name?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again. Who’s Darren? Just need a last name or business name... and I’ll (try to) get in touch with him

·
Vendor
26,452 Posts
Dude, smack yourself on the forehead. Who swirled every Ibanez JEM? Can't say UV's because of the MKR's but, need any more clues?! :lol:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude, smack yourself on the forehead. Who swirled every Ibanez JEM? Can't say UV's because of the MKR's but, need any more clues?! :lol:
Hmm, if you're talking about Darren J., I just assumed he was out-of-reach to peasants like me, but I'll try to get in touch. Never even occurred to me to reach out to him.

·
Registered
553 Posts
He’s pretty shifty, and not very good at continued communication. He gives one the feeling that he’s not really interested in doing the work. This is why I began looking elsewhere.

·
Vendor
26,452 Posts
Swirling guitars is a side gig and he's so busy with the regular operation of the business, which is typically doing millions of tee shirts for Disney and others, he can get slack on replies. You paid him no money, ask too many questions and he'll probably avoid you as much as you seem to avoid him. Tirekickers are a problem for everybody online, even if you weren't. maybe he just missed your last email.....

·
Registered
553 Posts
I’m pretty straight and to the point... “Where can I send my body and money?” We were talking via FB messenger, so you can see whether your messages were read or not. Regardless, I was unaware of his t-shirt business.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Swirling guitars is a side gig and he's so busy with the regular operation of the business, which is typically doing millions of tee shirts for Disney and others, he can get slack on replies. You paid him no money, ask too many questions and he'll probably avoid you as much as you seem to avoid him. Tirekickers are a problem for everybody online, even if you weren't. maybe he just missed your last email.....
Yeah, so given what I DO know about DJ, this is what I figured. He's got too much going on to waste time with little side jobs like the one I'd have for him. It's why it didn't occur to me to even consider him.

I think I may just give this a shot myself... maybe swirl some other objects first to try and get a feel for it. I definitely can't make this battered old guitar look any worse. If I do, I'll just sand it down and try again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Darren has had two bodies of mine since May of 2019. Not sure I'm ever going to see them again.

If you do find someone who is doing good work, I'd really like to know.

Even though Darren is paid in full, maybe I can get the bodies back and try someone else.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Darren has had two bodies of mine since May of 2019. Not sure I'm ever going to see them again.

If you do find someone who is doing good work, I'd really like to know.

Even though Darren is paid in full, maybe I can get the bodies back and try someone else.
Good grief. Why is this type of story more common than not in this industry?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts