Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's been done before, but I thought it was high time to discuss your favorite pick for the ABSOLUTE MOST TERRIBLE GUITARIST you've ever hated.

I'll kick it off with just a few of my fav's:

Jerry Garcia -Dead
Head - Korn
C.C. Deville - Poison
Curt Kobain -Nirvana
Ace Freeley - Kiss

That should set it up for the pre-holiday weekend!

SPEAK UP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, there are many aspects to being a guitarist: technique, music writing, improvisation, etc.

For his improvisation and his musically captivating melodies, I actually like Jerry Garcia. The Jerry Garcia before he kicked his drug addictions, of course. If you saw him play after he stopped doing heroin it's a sad sight. He couldn't stop shaking. He could barely play.

My vote for worst guitarist goes to Neil Young. Same boring music, poor technique, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
take Jerry & Ace off that list... that is ridiculous.

you gotta add Vai, Satch, etc to that list in comparison to Jerry on improv alone.. glen

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glen,
Jerry had a HUGE following- very successful- but he was out-of-tune and had the weakest tone I've heard. I'll not compete with Dead-Heads, but I still think he's a lame player.
I was on side-stage at the Bottom Line with Ace with a friend's band and he was so trashed he dropped my friends Les Paul off the stage. (Friend played all solos on the
"Back in the New York Groove" album. He's a total burnout.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Ace Frehley never caught my attention. I like Kiss and all, but Ace is nothing special in my opinion. He's still good though. Jerry Garcia? I always thought he was a great player. ;)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
The opinion of whether or not a guitarist is good or bad is a matter of taste, not fact, so I henceforth dub this thread crap! lol
You do realize that this would apply to 90% of the threads started in this forum dont you??? But you keep coming back......case of J.A.S. maybe:)

·
Registered
405 Posts
31 years on earth and I dont recall a moment where I had to listen to a Greatful dead tune maybe it takes a L.S.D brownie to enjoy it

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
jemaholic said:
Glen,
Jerry had a HUGE following- very successful- but he was out-of-tune and had the weakest tone I've heard. I'll not compete with Dead-Heads, but I still think he's a lame player.
I was on side-stage at the Bottom Line with Ace with a friend's band and he was so trashed he dropped my friends Les Paul off the stage. (Friend played all solos on the
"Back in the New York Groove" album. He's a total burnout.
Both had/have drug and alcohol issues... but that doesn't dismiss their contribution in their early days and overall career... which is greater than any shred guitarist. Also, if you're talking songwriting you gotta remove Kobain from that list too. :) ...glen

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
JJEMMER777 said:
You do realize that this would apply to 90% of the threads started in this forum dont you??? But you keep coming back......case of J.A.S. maybe:)
yes I do. I do have J.A.S. and I dont even own one yet but i have been playing ibanez's for all 9 years of my guitar life

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe that music is all about the inspiration and it is not a technical competitoin so for you Kobain may be the worst player in the universe and Korn may be the worst band ever but their music is giving HOPE and INSPIRATION for many people and that is what makes them great even imperfect...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
jemsite said:
Also, if you're talking songwriting you gotta remove Kobain from that list too. :) ...glen
Absolutely right. People should stop thinking of Kurt as a guitarist. The way I like to remember him (and I am a big fan of Nirvana) is as a songwriter who just happened to play guitar!

1 - 20 of 222 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.