Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just sold a coral sitar that I had lying around my studio, I checked my account on £bay and they want just under £35. total charge for the sale, The sitar sold for £314.and x amount of pence. The fees are more than 10% !!!!!!!! who else feels this is a total pi55 take? I used to sell my swirl guitars on the £bay, I dont think I will be doing any more. I think I will be putting them in the window of 'Johnny Roadhouse Music' in Manchester. :(

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well, this may seem like common sense and forgive me if I've missed your point, but if you don't like the terms and conditions no-one's holding your plums to the fire to make you sell there, are they?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I once sold my motorbike on **** for £800 and **** tried charging me £50 inc paypal.
did i do it ? no. I'm not one to get ripped off, closed my account, never used it again!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That must be where my problem is then, I dont see 10% as a reasonable fee. I think from now on Im only gonna use £bay for buying and not selling.

·
Vendor
26,497 Posts
3bay puts your item in front of the largest group of buyers in the world. If that's not worth 10% then what is it worth?! :roll:

You think Johnny will want less for letting you use his window space, for his very limited range of buyers?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I believe RM auctions charges 10% for all of their sales as well. Imagine selling a car at auction for say, $100,000 and then having to give the auction house $10,000 for the deed. 8O

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason why I have such a bee in my bonnet about this is.... Today I was talking to one of my friends who has a small guitar shop, the only person employed is himself and a saturday guy. He was telling me that his water rates are over £700 a year, all he has is a toilet and a sink, he says he has maybe 3 cups of tea a day and the odd crap here and there. Then he went on to mention the council tax....... this was a couple of £1000 for the year. Then theres the income tax, the insurance premiums, the rent and the list goes on. when you consider how much business is done on £bay..... well I would not mind being a couple of £100k behind whoever is incharge. I probably will still sell the odd swirl off there but that will be it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
it serves its purpose, I sell a lot on the bay and its cheaper than leasing a shop ad standing in it all day long.
the fees get lower the more you sell too..

in the end it comes down to the maths mate, if you can still make a profit after eb4y have taken their cut then great !

it is noticeable that they are trying to change the kind of person that sells on ****, trying to exclude the original sort of customer that cleared out their garage and sold it on eb4y... they seem to want larger BIN type sellers with the marketplace credentials.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You think Johnny will want less for letting you use his window space, for his very limited range of buyers?
I dont know what he will want as he has been dead for nearly 18 month........ joking apart, I get loads of work from one of my swirled guitars being seen in the window of the shop. I have one customer who has purchased 5 swirl guitars from me since may! oxford road must be one of the busiest streets in manchester. plus Im dealing with staff in a family run business and not some faceless corporation.
On the other hand.... You are totally correct about how many people get to see what your selling on £bay and yes it is lot more people. The problem I have is I just dont like paying for anything! LMAO

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
3bay puts your item in front of the largest group of buyers in the world. If that's not worth 10% then what is it worth?! :roll:

I worked on the ëbay platform for 5 years. Their fees have gone *up* every year consistently since 2001-02, the level of service for sellers hasn't. They found a way to monetize everything and don't care about casual sellers. The real ripoff is not their fees are going up or that it's high but the fact that they force you to use PayPal (acquired, owned and operated by ëbay) and then charge you separately for both services. If they want PayPal to be such an integral part of their platform/system (they are one system from ëbay's perspective), why not have one set of fees especially since the ëbay fees have been on the rise YoY? Not to forget how PayPal used to have a free monthly receiving limit that used to help casual sellers who sold 1 or 2 items a month - ëbay canned that too. Making money in return for a service is one thing, increasing fees while your service is on the decline is another.

Oh, and if buyers and sellers don't use paypal, ëbay offers no protection in the sale/purchase.

·
Vendor
26,497 Posts
I worked on the ëbay platform for 5 years. Their fees have gone *up* every year consistently since 2001-02, the level of service for sellers hasn't. They found a way to monetize everything and don't care about casual sellers. The real ripoff is not their fees are going up or that it's high but the fact that they force you to use PayPal (acquired, owned and operated by ëbay) and then charge you separately for both services. If they want PayPal to be such an integral part of their platform/system (they are one system from ëbay's perspective), why not have one set of fees especially since the ëbay fees have been on the rise YoY? Not to forget how PayPal used to have a free monthly receiving limit that used to help casual sellers who sold 1 or 2 items a month - ëbay canned that too. Making money in return for a service is one thing, increasing fees while your service is on the decline is another.

Oh, and if buyers and sellers don't use paypal, ëbay offers no protection in the sale/purchase.
Odd, the service is on the decline, but you then add the huge added service, the true BUYER PROTECTION that has been implemented. I guess truely safe buying isn't an added service, and one I'm sure costs 3bay plenty to administrate and in claims.

Obviously you don't have to take credit cards in your business. If you did you'd know Paypal fees are no worse than taking Discover [and can be much cheaper if you go merchant] and for international no more than taking a rewards card. Or maybe you think card processing is a free service done by Visa and MC :lol:

·
Registered
158 Posts
No problem here with the bay.

If I use craigslist I can't stand all the lowballing from jokers and no shows. Give someone a good deal and what happens next, it's on craigslist at a higher price before you removed your original post. I fell for a guys sad story about no money for a bass to play in his band. Just about gave it away to him. Saw the my old bass right back up for sale for a few bills more. I'm OK with helping people, but he lied.

Your local music shop, HA! What do they give you for your $1000 axe? 50 percent on a very good day. Maybe as low as 30 percent. Maybe I'm just a boob but I can make more on a guitar using the bay then the two methods above.

Rich has a great point about credit card fees above.

I feel safe buying off the bay too. If the seller feeds me a load of crap, turn em in. Paypal will take a refund right out of there bank. Don't even have to ask them, though the will be informed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts