Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doesnt the "RG kidneybuster" sound so much better than the "RG1550" a word summons up so much more than a flippin code! i hate it! why is the guitar industry built around the idea!!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I actually like it. It removes a bit of the marketing from the mix and just makes it clear what you're buying.

RG Deathgrip might sound a lot better than the S Taintpuncher, but you really have no idea which is the better guitar. But RG1550 is clearly better than RG170.

I do wish they'd be more strict with the numbering... ie. a JS2 shouldn't be numbered lower than a JS100

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
jem7vwh said:
I do wish they'd be more strict with the numbering... ie. a JS2 shouldn't be numbered lower than a JS100
I think that they should number the most prestigeous guitars with single numbers. Personally, JS1 sounds better than JS1000. A bit like the BMW's, you know that a M3 is better than a 320 for example. And I may be wrong here, but didn't the JS1,2,3,etc come out before the JS100?

·
Registered
541 Posts
yea the coding is a bit inconsistent.

JS100/JEM555/PGM3 are the low end signature models. But their numbers are inconsistent in that regard.

I prefer the numbering system, although sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's a highend model or not. I wouldn't want some lame nickname attatched to my guitar. Like...Ibanez SuperRG5000 brrr! lame. :p

·
Registered
494 Posts
i hvnt figure out what the model code mean

but i know japanese guitars hv a habit of naming their guitars according to the prices....eg. Fernandes jp LD-85kk sells a RRP of 85,000yen......and MG360 sells for 360, 000yen...

but for the ibanez....it mite be sumthing around with similar ideas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok heres a few good idea for Ibanez to mull over:

RG Gut Buster
RG Dog Mutilator
RG Athritus Stick
RG Finger Crippler
RG Floorboard Cracker
RG Bone Orsingator
RG Baby Puppy

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
It used to be a lot simpler in the "pre-prestige" days, an RG770 was better than an RG570 which was better than an RG470 etc etc etc.

And taking Gurj's example, very much like the BMW code, 330 is a small saloon, with a big engine, wheras a 520 is a big saloon with a smaller engine etc etc.

I'm just getting used to figuring out what the codes sort of mean again. But I think once you know what means what, alphanumeric codes tend to be easier than dungeons and dragons style names!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Gurj said:
I think that they should number the most prestigeous guitars with single numbers. Personally, JS1 sounds better than JS1000. A bit like the BMW's, you know that a M3 is better than a 320 for example. And I may be wrong here, but didn't the JS1,2,3,etc come out before the JS100?
Yeah, the JS1000 was once the JS1 wasnt it? (if not, then it should be the JS2 or whatever....)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.