Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I was looking to compare some Charvels, Kramers, ESP's, etc.. to my Ibanez guitars. I like shopping at Guitar Center because of their assortment of used stuff and their return policy.

Any reason why you can't find more brands in GC? I can't find any stores with Charvels or Kramers in them in/around the Chicago area and would think that GC is the most popular place to buy a guitar.

You would think any guitar manufacturer would do almost anything to get into GC. Any other options to play one of these brands in person before buying it?

Any suggestions as to what I might want to look at for my 'non-Ibanez' guitar would be appreciated as well.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
honestly, I didn't know Kramer was still making guitars.:confused:

as far as Charvel, the website will show you dealers.

Are you in St Charles Ill? There are 6 or so Charvel dealers in the area.
http://www.charvel.com/dealers/

I would check one of them out and see if they also have a few Kramers or Ibbys to compare with

GC is only good for comparing Fenders and Gibson which sucks..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
honestly, I didn't know Kramer was still making guitars.:confused:

as far as Charvel, the website will show you dealers.

Are you in St Charles Ill? There are 6 or so Charvel dealers in the area.
http://www.charvel.com/dealers/

I would check one of them out and see if they also have a few Kramers or Ibbys to compare with

GC is only good for comparing Fenders and Gibson which sucks..
I've called a bunch of the dealers on the Charvel site and none of 'em have something to play - let alone any of the new San Dimas models. Finding a new San Dimas or a Kramer Pacer is harder than finding a needle in a hay stack around here. No wonder these guitar companies are barely around. One thing Ibby is very good at is getting their brand out there.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I've called a bunch of the dealers on the Charvel site and none of 'em have something to play - let alone any of the new San Dimas models. Finding a new San Dimas or a Kramer Pacer is harder than finding a needle in a hay stack around here. No wonder these guitar companies are barely around. One thing Ibby is very good at is getting their brand out there.
Well, i think the problem is that for Kramer and Charvel stayed too 80s for too long.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are fantastic guitars but the kids buying guitars now do not generally go for either.

Ibanez has done a fantastic job transitioning out and staying very current. They were the first ones to do a production 8 string guitar and have always done a good job keeping up with the latest trends.

Right now djent is in and they have given meshuggah, abasi, etc.. signature models and released tons of mid/low end 8 strings and 7 strings.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well, i think the problem is that for Kramer and Charvel stayed too 80s for too long.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are fantastic guitars but the kids buying guitars now do not generally go for either.

Ibanez has done a fantastic job transitioning out and staying very current. They were the first ones to do a production 8 string guitar and have always done a good job keeping up with the latest trends.

Right now djent is in and they have given meshuggah, abasi, etc.. signature models and released tons of mid/low end 8 strings and 7 strings.
good point. I guess I didn't think of that b/c I still play Ratt songs all the time:lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kramer is mainly sold by specific companies now. There is not a huge market for their product right now. Even there US stuff is not that big anymore. My GC has some Charvels but its mostly custom shop stuff. I see them every once in a while. GC does not make enough money off stuff like that so they wont have a huge stock, if any. However, they do make a lot of money on Fender, Gibson, PRS, and cheapo Ibanez and Schecter models( all which there is a huge market for).

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Kramer is owned by Gibson and there is also Gary Kramer guitars (which are built by the same guy that did the originals). So, you can see where this is going.....

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Most powerful stockholder owner of Fender is also of Kramer and Guitar Center so that's too bad. I don't know who owns Charvel these days or if they are independent of the big companies.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
As to topic of post, if you have a Sam Ash near you, the one near me typically has a good selection of the new pro mod line, so you might try there.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Hey All,

I was looking to compare some Charvels, Kramers, ESP's, etc.. to my Ibanez guitars. I like shopping at Guitar Center because of their assortment of used stuff and their return policy.

Any reason why you can't find more brands in GC? I can't find any stores with Charvels or Kramers in them in/around the Chicago area and would think that GC is the most popular place to buy a guitar.

You would think any guitar manufacturer would do almost anything to get into GC. Any other options to play one of these brands in person before buying it?

Any suggestions as to what I might want to look at for my 'non-Ibanez' guitar would be appreciated as well.

Much appreciated!
I feel your pain man. Even the downtown store has nothing to play unless you want a Fender, Gibson, PRS, or Schecter. GC is a worthless business IMO...........

Sam Ash has more variety. There's a JEM70 SFG, AN RG920 Premium and a few other decent Ibbys at the Burbank store. The also carry a nice selection of Charvels. The Lombard store has always been pretty well stocked, but I have been there in the last year. I have no idea what they have hanging on the walls now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
good point. I guess I didn't think of that b/c I still play Ratt songs all the time:lol:
I can relate. I'm a total Ibanez player now, as nobody touches an Ibanez neck. But, outside of my top 40 band, I still crank out "I want a women", "top secret" and many other Ratt tunes through my SLO. Warren is a legend.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Charvel is owned by FMIC, (Fender Musical Instrument Copanies). The majority of the Charvels sold currently are the Chinese made ones, "Desolation" series. If I remember correctly, The San Dimas are made In the same factory as the EVH Wolfgangs.

The new Kramer's are also Chinese made, designed by Gibson.

Nothing wrong with the Quality of the Chinese products, the Premium Ibanez are from Asia also.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
am I alone in thinking the Desolation series is kinda gross?
No. Worst new product line designs I've seen from a major guitar company in a while. Head stocks are fugly, and most of the body shapes as well. Generic at best. It's a shame that Fender decided to tarnish the (deserved) success of the come back of the Charvel brand like they did, though not unexpected (and probably not a bad biz decision on their part in order to compete with the Schecters and LTDs of the world)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts