Ibanez JEM Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was adjusting the length of some foils (fencing weapons) to change them from a French grip to a Visconti grip. I was doing them by hand with a tiny a** hand saw at first. They took forever and looked like sh*t so I bought a dremel. They were done must faster and the final product was a better done job. Having the best tools for the work you're doing will always produce a final product. Just try roofing a house using a screwdriver for a hammer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Thanks for your opinions on this one, I just bought an Ibanez RG870 Premium and after many years of playing EMGs in every single of my guitars I felt a new found love for passives even though those stock pups on Premiums are crappy. I decided to switch to D Activators or X2N. I still didn't rule out Blackouts though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I love the Blackout I have in my Strat / Frankenstrat. I love EMG's though too. I just happen to have bought one on a recommendation, and I'm glad I did. The Blackout Duncan has a wire you can attach to get the most output, or leave it off to get the output of say a Standard Distortion pickup. I left it off and love it. It's about the same output to me as say a Dimarzio Tone Zone, but it sounds great, is quiet, and just has some cool EQ I think. I say this, but it's also on a guitar I just love for it's natural sustain and output. It seems to me that EMG's and actives have the advantage of giving you MORE of anything on a guitar if it sounds good, or bad. If the guitar sounds bad, then you get MORE of the bad.. LOL..

I think you'll learn more with a high quality instrument setup right and rig, because you don't have to concentrate so much on fighting the instrument, and can concentrate on learning music, etc, but there's a point where the instrument costs more because of visual stuff, etc, that doesn't help learning. But, I hear people all the time ask me what's a cheap guitar they can get there kids if they want to learn because they think it's nuts to give them a more expensive guitar to learn on in case they don't want to learn. This is the wrong approach. Make them pay for it with their allowance or something and then get them the most guitar they can afford. That way, they may like it when it sounds good and they learn fast. This is my appraoch anyway. I know when I started it was with a cheap guitar that took me a couple years to understand that the guitar sucked and I was wasting a lot of time. It was because I played a friends Strat and LP who was good. I realized they were a lot easier to play and I was killing myself with my cheap copy that had an action like pressing barbed wire against a fence post! It drove me nuts. I saved my money and bought me an SG and learned a lot!

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
can Vettel win the world championship in a Volkswagen?
can Jim Carrey win the world championship in a Formula 1 car?

Its just natural, as we go along, we get better and for many, the equipment just got better too :)
Moot point and innacurate analogy.
A player can still shred with stock pickups.

That said--I really dislike EMGs. They sound sterile.
I like the organic nature of DiMarzios.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Alaska, Have you tried the Duncans? I'm just curious.. I think they're not as sterile so to speak. I also have noticed that folks seem to like the new X series pups by EMG which I guess are probably an answer to the Duncans. I'm not sure of that, but I'd bet that's the case. I know the Blackout that I have is much more organic in my humble opinion..
Thanks
Tim

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Alaska, Have you tried the Duncans? I'm just curious.. I think they're not as sterile so to speak. I also have noticed that folks seem to like the new X series pups by EMG which I guess are probably an answer to the Duncans. I'm not sure of that, but I'd bet that's the case. I know the Blackout that I have is much more organic in my humble opinion..
Thanks
Tim
No--haven't tried them.
I've just been a DiMarzio guy for a long time.
Been through Duncans and EMGs, but just dig DiMarzios more.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Cool. I like Dimarzio's too. A lot, but I bet if you tried the Duncan Actives with an open mind, you'd probably like them. I'm not going to say you'd like them more than your Dimarzio's, because they rock too, but man, the Duncan Actives are what Actives should be.. I love the Dimarzio Tone Zone, and Super 3, and Super, etc,. though and could get by with them no matter what.

I have used Duncans, Dimarzio's, EMG's, and a coulple Korean brands I can't remember..hehe.. I like them all basically, except some Duncan passives I've tried, but usually only because they were in the wrong guitar. I'm not a huge fan of the JB, etc, but like most pups if installed in the right wood / guitar..
Tim

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Cool. I like Dimarzio's too. A lot, but I bet if you tried the Duncan Actives with an open mind, you'd probably like them. I'm not going to say you'd like them more than your Dimarzio's, because they rock too, but man, the Duncan Actives are what Actives should be.. I love the Dimarzio Tone Zone, and Super 3, and Super, etc,. though and could get by with them no matter what.

I have used Duncans, Dimarzio's, EMG's, and a coulple Korean brands I can't remember..hehe.. I like them all basically, except some Duncan passives I've tried, but usually only because they were in the wrong guitar. I'm not a huge fan of the JB, etc, but like most pups if installed in the right wood / guitar..
Tim
For me--it's also brand loyalty. I've always liked DiMarzios, they have enough variety in different models and I'm turning into an old cranky dude...lol.
Plus--Larry is a bud.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't like EMGs because, to my ears, they are EQed flat. They have good mids good lows and good highs, but there is nothing special about them. I went back to passive pickups years ago and never looked back. There is so much feel and tone. Dimarzio D activators, I think, are the closest to EMGs. I don't like them either. ha. Just my opinion on everything though. Everyone hears things differently. :D
indeed no more no less

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's either me or my flawed earing, but I always found EMGs to distort the sound even when playing clean. I dislike pickups that don't sound clear, and I have never heard a guitar with EMGs on it that sounded clear enough for me.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Well the pickups were too high then. Too many people jack them right up just because they can. Lower them and then you'll get some cleans.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Exactly, you can definitely get an appropriate clean tones out of EMG, just lower the pickup and tweak the EQ/roll back the volume pot... I love EMG in every possible way. Emg X didn't get such positive reviews because it sounds more natural but it lacks the bite and crunch of the original. Still the new 57/66 combo sounds beautiful.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, or the pickups were to blame for something that could be solved with amp settings. You have to really use a clean channel with loads of headroom or turn down the volume. The nice thing about EMG's is that when you roll back the volume, they don't get darker sounding, but retain their clarity. EMG's have so many good things about them I love them. They are so quiet for the amount of gain I use and it's quite a bit. Not as much as NuMetal or something, but that's not the point. They are quiet. You can't get shocked as you're not the ground with EMG's as you are with Passives. You can use a cord that's 2945 feet long if you want and the signal doesn't degrade, etc, etc,. Now, you do have to get used to active tone, which is different, but I don't think it's bad. That's the cool thing about Music. You do what you want and hope others like it... I think if Randy Rhoades were here he'd use EMG's. I'm sure of it.. :). Not sure, but I think he would.. at this age especially.. Us old guys like them .. LOL

·
Registered
977 Posts
After having just put a set in my RG2EX2 (thanks LonePhantom!) I love these things! I put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. Although the 81 is a little gritty on the clean channel regardless of its height, the 85 in the bridge totally creams my twinkie! I wanted a guitar just for downtuned(drop C) chugging (djenting?) and now I have it. Totally stoked!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Does EMG make single coils also? I might wanna put those into my GRX40 Gio Ibby to make it sound better. I really cant touch the thing because it sounds so bad with the stock pups.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes they do, just look on the website to see if it would fit your needs.

You can also look for HotRails from Seymour Duncan for a single coil with high output.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
This was always interesting to me. Ibanez artist and players generally avoid putting
active pickups in their guitars. Why is that? Is it because Vai-Gilbert-Satch-Petrucci(ex) and others have always prefered Dimarzio so I should too? I am planning to put EMGs in my new Premium because I simply love the sound of the pickup. But I would love to hear your opinion on this one. Which passive pickup could ever have similar specs?
Ibanezes would do just as fine with EMGs as rival ESP.

I think where someone like ESP has pretty much cornered the OEM thing with EMGs, Ibanez has done well with lower cost DiMarzios and it's what we got used to with either aftermarket DiMarzios or IBZs. Neither one is better and if a player wants a guitar right from the start with EMGs, then ESP/LTD seem to be the best dollar for dollar choice.

Schechter seems to have partnered most with Seymour Duncan and have the most stock with them.

Other companies have some small offerings with those major pickup companies (Gibson - EMG and DiMarzio, Fender -Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio) but for the most part the three major pickup companies have their favorites and EMG is married with ESP/LTD and Ibanez with DiMarzio and it's been that way for a long time.

Oddly, nobody picked up Seymour Duncan in a big way for years until Schechter came along with a lot of models. ESP has a few with Duncans in more modest offerings but that company is more metal based and likes EMGs.

The cheapest path by far is to buy a guitar stock with a major pickup.

Gibson and Fender have their own pickups as does PRS.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The new line of iron label will be either with EMG's or Dimarzio's

Meet Ibanez's new made-for-metal guitar series, Iron Label. Built on the
"chassis" of our famous RG and S-Series models, we modded and tweaked
with nothing but metal in mind. We took our legendary super-thin, ultra-playable Wizard neck, and upped the ante to Nitro
Wizard- fast and comfortable with added road-tested durability. Whether it's a 6, 7 or 8-string, every Iron Label axe is matched
perfectly with American-made EMG® or DiMarzio® pickups. Purposefully Spartan, you won't find a feature here that doesn't
contribute directly to rattling bones or waking the dead.
There's also a lot of current line models with stock EMG's.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts