Ibanez JEM Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Most ibanez rg/s series player are so used to dimarzio sound... When given emg pups they just cant get used to to it.....if playing metal they would use dimarzio X2N pups rather than emg

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2 cents: EMG's and active's in general just sound flat to me. Personally I do not like the sound of active pickups clean AT ALL. In my opinion the only thing they are good for is high gain, but other than that every active pickup equipped guitar I've played seems to suck the naunces out of playing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's just personal preference. I tend to dislike the usual 81/85 combo, but had a Kirk Hammet SSH setup in a mid 1986 Japanese strat I once had. The Strat sounded sick!

I used to have an 81/85 in an Ibanez X series from the late 80's. It handed down to me from my dad... and it sounded quite meh. However, that is likely the fault of the guitar. I think it was made out of cardboard, hahaha!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dont forget EMGS are far less noisy than regular humbuckers. you can eq the emg sound to what u like. but u cant eq away the noise that other pickups have. so emg ARE the choice for high gain if u want a professional low noise sound. and no noisegates will not fix this.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
2 reasons why I dislike EMGs.

1> I too find them too "flat". I had a few axes with EMGs.

2> I have a natural dislike for guitars that require batteries or any other power source to operate. With my luck that means that when I'm in the middle of a gig or a recording I'll run out of batteries (It happened to me a few times)

Regards,

JP

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just bought a 92 s540 with emg's in it. To change the battery you have to unscrew the pickup selector and move it to get to the battery. The pickups sound okay, just different.But I am going to put dimarzio's in. I know dimarzio stuff inside and out and know what will give me what I want. That is my point of reference. I don't dislike emg, just don't have a lot of experience with them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
EMG's can be nice... mostly in mahogany, though. Ibanez players likely prefer DiMarzios for being more suited to the standard basswood of most ibbys.

Or... maybe... they're just oldschool and prefer the raunchiness of a Super70 for massive distortion applications :) cuz, kiddies, that works too. like a charm!

However... If you believe EMGs are sterile by definition, go play an ESP (not ltd!!) Eclipse II Standard. Mindblowing tone out of those things, doesn't even sound active when you don't want it to...

AND... if you believe they sound the same everywhere, compare a set in an ESP eclipse with a set in a Gibson LP.... supposedly similar guitars. AS IF!! guess some axes are just built around perfecting the sound of a certain pickup combination and do it beautifully.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i'm partial to duncans and dimarzios...had a few guitars with emg's and immediately ripped them out...why?...passive pickups let you hear the tone of the wood the guitar is made of...emg's flatten everything out so much that a guitar loses a lot of the inherent character of the piece of wood it's made of...least that's what my ears have told me through the years...d.m.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I have emgs in my ibby and love the **** out of the tone, its a biased tone purely for crunch but it gets the job done for the brutals.
Not even brutal stuff, just general high gain stuff is great. The iron label RGs are amazing and the harmonics are great... but like was said above, I personally dont like active pups.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts