Ibanez JEM Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By popular demand (okay, two people) I have decided to take this post of mine from the polls section (Paul Gilbert Vs Yngwie Malmsteen) and turn it into a new topic/thread. It really no longer has anything to do with polls but everything to do with the way a famous guitarist is perceived, both in the media and by other players. So here it is:

Yngwie seems to be maligned (by other "guitarists") much more so than any guitarist in history. Why? Why does this man deserve to be criticized continually and endlessly, especially by those writers and players who still remain unknown because they themselves seem to have nothing original to contribute to the art of music? Does it have anything at all to do with his talent or accomplishments? Well, let us take a look at the facts:

Since styles of guitar-playing cannot be patented we must look at the timeline of a style to determine it's originator. In the case of "shred guitar" the genealogy (supported by audio evidence) clearly goes back to Yngwie circa his 1980 demo tapes and stops there. Yngwie created a style, put his creation on tape and it stands today as proof of who really "invented" this genre of playing.

Secondly, let us suppose that the previous fact doesn't really matter, in other words let us assume (as some have) that someone else probably would have invented the genre of shred guitar sooner or later anyway. Then we must consider this: what was this nameless "someone else" waiting for? The answer of course is that they were waiting for a true original to do it first so that they would then have somebody to plagiarize. The simple and incontestable fact remains that nobody did it before Yngwie. A guitarist such as Paul Gilbert, for example, is no doubt a great player without question, but he cannot be credited with inventing a style, he took the work of others and extrapolated on it. Great, but not original. Faster at times, but not original. More technically precise at times, but still not original.

Third, it makes no difference whatsoever if Yngwie chooses to play the same style over and over (as so many guitarists are constantly complaining). The man INVENTED THE STYLE. The creator of any style of art is most certainly within his artistic rights if he chooses to perpetuate that style. What if Picasso had painted only one painting in his inimitable style (which became known as cubism) and then changed styles completely? The same goes for any other legendary artist in any field of art. Think about it. The question of "artistic growth" cannot have the same meaning when applied to the artist who is a true innovator in his field. The creation (and ultimate world-wide acceptance) of a totally new style itself becomes the greatest and most significant artistic growth an artist could hope for.

Finally, regarding Yngwie's "growth as a human" (as an excuse by so many for why his art should be dismissed): Let us not constantly judge the man's art by looking at his personal behavior. Let his work stand on it's own (and I think all would agree that it stands quite impressively). Give credit where credit is truly due. Yngwie created, all other "shred guitarists" copied him. History shows this statement to be fact. Thank you all for taking the time to read my thoughts on this seemingly meaningless (but actually quite historically significant) topic.

So, if you hate Yngwie what is your legitimate reason?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I don't hate Yngwie. It's just that his a lot of his songs sound similar. I remember watching the Denver G3 and when Yngwie was playing his set, I couldn't tell whether he was playing more than one song ;). Still I do not doubt his talent or the impact that he has created in guitar history.

And that sir, is my legitimate reason. ;)

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I kinda lost interest over the years coz i didn't particularly like the way his vocal tracks were going.I don't knock him for his playing though coz the impact those first two solo albums he did had on me as a teenager discovering the guitar was f**king amazing.I love the alcatrazz album too,though it took a lot longer to get hold of that!!!
The only thing i don't like about him now is highlighted on the G3 dvd, does he really need to throw his guitar around his neck and do those dumb kicks every 10 seconds!!
As a guitarist,i rate him extremely highly. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't see Yngwie as an inventor. EVH is more inventive, and his accomplishments are much harder to trace to anyone/thing else. Yngwie applied long-existing, traditional classical instrumental virtuosity to rock electric guitar. Randy Rhoads was on the same wavelength, though IMO, Yngwie took it further. His execution is perfect.

I think that many guitarists dislike him because his virtuosity makes them feel inadequate.

I think he's fantastic.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Kamikaze_1 said:
I don't hate Yngwie. It's just that his a lot of his songs sound similar. I remember watching the Denver G3 and when Yngwie was playing his set, I couldn't tell whether he was playing more than one song ;). Still I do not doubt his talent or the impact that he has created in guitar history.

And that sir, is my legitimate reason. ;)
I don't think his songs sound so similar, I think his guitar solos sound similar.

You got to take Yngwie with humor!:) It's his attitude, it's so fun!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Some of his instumental tracks have been works of genious IMHO. However, most of his albums are filled with second rate Deep Purple wannabe tracks with 8 minute widdle fests in the middle. It is all just too repetative and although it was creative to begin with, he really hasn't done anything new in years.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I loved the instrumentals on his first album (yep, it was on vinyl in those days), probably before alot of you were born! Since then, I agree, his stuff starts sounding too similar.

On a personal note, he used to come across as a pompous a$$ and talk down about other guitarists. He does seem to have changed, at least his public persona, some since then. But, some of George Lynch's road crew, and I think George himself, said that when they opened for YJM last year that he would come out and do 2 -3 hour soundchecks and they were lucky to get their stuff set up and get 5 minutes before the doors opened. Treating the other acts on the bill that way doesn't go very far toward earning brownie points in the biz. Especially in his situation, you never know when it might be turned and he is the opening act. So, basically he is a self-centered jerk.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Yngwie invented what???!!! More Like he electrified Paganini! Jeez, get a life, shred was happening at Woodstock fool! Ever hear of Alvin Lee... how about Hendrix. What they weren't blowing their own skirt up like your buddy Yngwie with 32nd note classical chops? OK, now to the artist side.... you are your ART. If you paint great but are simply too in love with yourself. Guess what, you won't have many "followers"! If I remember, there was this kid in the mid to late 70"s called Eddie something or Halen..... let me guess "that's not shred"???!! As far as that goes what was Al DiMeola doing in the late 70"s.... oh, that's right he was improvising not copying Paganini.

P.S. We don't hate him.... it's just his ego is bigger than his art so guess which one he'll be known for.

·
Registered
796 Posts
jemplayer55 said:
Yngwie invented what???!!! More Like he electrified Paganini! Jeez, get a life, shred was happening at Woodstock fool! Ever hear of Alvin Lee... how about Hendrix. What they weren't blowing their own skirt up like your buddy Yngwie with 32nd note classical chops? OK, now to the artist side.... you are your ART. If you paint great but are simply too in love with yourself. Guess what, you won't have many "followers"! If I remember, there was this kid in the mid to late 70"s called Eddie something or Halen..... let me guess "that's not shred"???!! As far as that goes what was Al DiMeola doing in the late 70"s.... oh, that's right he was improvising not copying Paganini.

P.S. We don't hate him.... it's just his ego is bigger than his art so guess which one he'll be known for.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Look at your own dismissive behavior while criticizing someone else for the exact same thing.

I'm sorry dude, no one was sweeping full chord arpeggios at Woodstock. Alvin Lee and Hendrix were not shredding at Woodstock. How do you define anything they did back then as "shredding"? Please do share.

Pentatonics became prominently played as triplets at lightning speed because of Yngwie. String skipping was pioneered by Yngwie. Scales were played in 32nd notes up and down the neck because of Yngwie. Arpeggios were swept at lightning speed because of Yngwie..and the list goes on.

And, dude, we are talking in the context of modern Rock guitar. I can find someone in 10,000 BC who did every little thing that every single innovator in rock music pioneered but it would be ridiculous for me to belittle EVH's role as a pioneer in introducing lightning speed taps to rock guitar technique because some guy 10,000 years ago in ancient Persia did it on a Rubarb.

Yngwie has in the past been without exception a complete and absolute prick. If he had the amiable and friendly personality of John Petrucci then he wouldn't be marginalized as a has-been hair-band guitarist on VH1's "Where Are They Now?". His attitude is the only reason why he does not get the credit he deserves as a musician. However, when analyzed as a musician alone he is no short of a legend and pioneer who deserves his due credit for CREATING the Petruccis and Gilberts of the world.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Three words, Uli Jon Roth. :)

Yngwie didn't invent shred, he did popularise it. He can almost definitely take credit for being the most pivotal player in neoclassical music. Doesn't mean he invented it.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
BigShred said:
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Look at your own dismissive behavior while criticizing someone else for the exact same thing.

I'm sorry dude, no one was sweeping full chord arpeggios at Woodstock. Alvin Lee and Hendrix were not shredding at Woodstock. How do you define anything they did back then as "shredding"? Please do share.

Pentatonics became prominently played as triplets at lightning speed because of Yngwie. String skipping was pioneered by Yngwie. Scales were played in 32nd notes up and down the neck because of Yngwie. Arpeggios were swept at lightning speed because of Yngwie..and the list goes on.

And, dude, we are talking in the context of modern Rock guitar. I can find someone in 10,000 BC who did every little thing that every single innovator in rock music pioneered but it would be ridiculous for me to belittle EVH's role as a pioneer in introducing lightning speed taps to rock guitar technique because some guy 10,000 years ago in ancient Persia did it on a Rubarb.

Yngwie has in the past been without exception a complete and absolute prick. If he had the amiable and friendly personality of John Petrucci then he wouldn't be marginalized as a has-been hair-band guitarist on VH1's "Where Are They Now?". His attitude is the only reason why he does not get the credit he deserves as a musician. However, when analyzed as a musician alone he is no short of a legend and pioneer who deserves his due credit for CREATING the Petruccis and Gilberts of the world.
Well spoken! however there's far too much ignorance out there, people talking about BB King and Hendrix and Alvin Lee in discussions were they don't even belong!!! The word "SHRED" is becoming one of the most misused words of our time! what is the world coming to?!?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Tom Gilroy said:

Yngwie didn't invent shred, he did popularise it. He can almost definitely take credit for being the most pivotal player in neoclassical music. Doesn't mean he invented it.
Rightly spoken Tom!!! Even Yngwie acknowledges that Ritchie
Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker pioneered the genere...

Even nowadays Uli Jon Roth is one of the most amazing and fastest guitarists of our time, his SKY guitar is something to be reckon with and only a master like him could play such an instrument (For those not familiar with the man I recommend Metamorphosis, he does a scorching rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Tom Gilroy said:

Excellent! I do stand corrected for neglecting to mention Uli Roth...who by the way Yngwie enthusiastically and openly acknowledges as a huge infleunce.

That's more than can be said for many of his clones. I love Vinnie Moore, but for him to claim the similarity in styles between him and Yngwie are coincidence is just untenable. I understand them trying to avoid the Yngwie clone stigma, but after a certain point it starts to look pretty silly.

"Yngwie? Who? Oh no..I never heard of him before..(proceeds to pick out a harmonic minor scale pivoting on the top note)...who the heck is THAT?"

·
Registered
796 Posts
OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S said:
Rightly spoken Tom!!! Even Yngwie acknowledges that Ritchie
Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker pioneered the genere...

Even nowadays Uli Jon Roth is one of the most amazing and fastest guitarists of our time, his SKY guitar is something to be reckon with and only a master like him could play such an instrument (For those not familiar with the man I recommend Metamorphosis, he does a scorching rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons)
How come the UJR Sky guitar never caught on? Its a brilliant design. Yngwie uses one live on occasion and its one of his favorite guitars.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.