Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Butane Soldering Iron and the attachment comes off and its a blow torch with an adjustable flame/heat. Im opening my stealth ex project again because im wanting a DY, LNG, or SK. Help me choose what color.

my real question is can I use the torch to remove the paint? I seen the Heat Gun method on ProjectGuitar and wouldnt this be somewhat the same? Im gonna start a thread on my project in a hour or 2 when I start and take pics. I have started some sanding 2 weeks ago and never been back to the shop. I didnt get to far. Im gonna officially start it tonight. Im out this whole week from school and then the weekend yay!!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I don't know what you are planning to finish the guitar with, but be careful of the flames. It is all too easy to set a guitar on fire with a blow torch. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive did it and I actually worked but a couple times it set the guitar on fire. After I started in the project with my torch I knew what I was doing with in the first couple of minutes. I did the front and when I got to the back I let the torch catch fire on the paint and boil it off and it worked without burning the wood bad. I didnt however do the sides because thats the crazy hard part so im gonna sand them good with 50 grit and prime it white then paint it Florescent Red. Between each coat of red im sanding it with 1200 grit and im sanding the clear between each coat with 1200 too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts