Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, bought a jem from Jimosity from the US and im waiting for it to come. I live in the UK. Hes shipping it as a gift and they told him that if he ships it as a gift he couldnt insure it for what it was worth, and still have it as a gift without it costing me loads when it came into the country. So he left it as a gift and insured it for $350. Will I be charged when it enters the country from the US? If so how much?? If im charged i Might not be able to afford it :( Used the last of my birthday money on the Jem:(

Thanks
Kev

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey rich, how do i actually pay for it when it comes into the country, will it not actually get delivered to me? Like will it get held in customs or something until i produce the cash?
Kev

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think that when I got charged it was held at the post office and I went and paid them when I picked it up (I think), but was also told by someone else that they had it delivered and then recieved a bill for the customs charge afterwards. It might not be quite as much as you've been quoted either - I think it's 17.5% VAT and 3% import duty (20.5% total), but you may get a fixed fee post office charge on top of that (of around a fiver if I remember right) - it'll probably work out at around the same amount as you were quoted earlier anyway. Or you may get lucky and not be charged at all - I've had that aswell, where you should get charged and for some reason don't.
Sorry for the vague answers, it's been a while since I've had to pay it.
cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The way I have always seen it is that it gets delivered to you, and then you recieve a bill for the customs charge afterwards. Thats the way it usually works anyway. But obviously, they can choose to hold it at the post office too I suppose. Hey, its the Royal Mail, nothing should suprise you, lol!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The method seems to vary, but for a private residence the post office will almost always hold the item until you go and pay the charges, while companies will get stuff delivered first, but I've experienced it working the other way round too.

·
Registered
561 Posts
When I received a used guitar from America I think the total amount of customs came to £70. if I can recall correctly I payed £230 which included shipping for it, Parcelforce delivered it to my door, but, I didn't have the funds at the time, as I wasn't expecting it to come quite as soon as it did. So the fella said he would have to take it back to HQ which is an hours drive from my place. I called them a few days later and they kindly redelivered it and I payed up. I have no idea how much the seller insured it for and if they marked it as a "gift", so I'm not much help, but anyway...

I think you would be pretty lucky to only get £50 in fees, maybe just over.

I'm expecting to have a Carvin over here fairly soon, the seller insured it for $500 so I'm expecting to pay a fair bit, but it still works out in my favour at the end of the day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys, just spotted this thread from a while ago now, I didnt get charged anything for it entering UK:D
All that worry about nothing:D
Kev

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
That's good. I didn't realize the thread was so old, but I was going to say that sometimes they receiver gets billed sometimes they don't. I sold a Boss ME-50 to someone in France. He never got billed for customs. I never was charged when I bought a guitar from Japan.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Yeah, nothing quite like that feeling of having a couple of hundred £'s in your pocket expecting to have to pay out then sweating like a mofo when the delivery guy goes "Yep that's it, cheers mate, see ya later!"

I bought a guitar from Jim777's brother a while back and for the next 3 weeks I was crappin' through the eye of a needle thinking that someone was gonna come back and charge me, lol. :)

In fact, it's the same delivery guy that always collects from me when I sell anything, maybe it's just me, but he always seems to eyeball-ing me with that look on his face like he's gonna make me do some hard time :(

·
Registered
561 Posts
bpd111 said:
That's good. I didn't realize the thread was so old, but I was going to say that sometimes they receiver gets billed sometimes they don't. I sold a Boss ME-50 to someone in France. He never got billed for customs. I never was charged when I bought a guitar from Japan.
Did they just declare the value to be really low?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Adagio_777 said:
Did they just declare the value to be really low?
No, I declared the value what I sold it for. $225 I think. The guy I sold it to said sometimes we get charged, sometimes we don't.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I've had several guitars shipped over here, and basically it's all about the declared value.

If you think you can get away with undervaluing, then do it. I had my Custom from Ibanez sent over which they "valued" at 200$ so I only ended up paying 32£ or so duty plus processing fees or something.

It can vary wildly, and remember that sometimes they will check the value against whatever the blue book value could be, so the best thing to do is undervalue the declared value, although that may have an impact on how much you can insure it for, so pack it up well!!!!

It's a bit like playing the lottery in a way, but it is still cheaper than some of the Rip-Off UK prices.

And as above, sometimes you don't get charged at all. It's starnge.

James

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, also just picked up on this thread, being a UK resident i also find tax a wee bit.. ahem annoying...

I buy bulk packs of strings from the States.. Like, 70packs a hit... And that costs around about £80... And if i remember correctly, the overall sur charge of that was near enough £15... It hurts don't it, and the tax is still creeping up...

Soon no more Stately bargains :(

Cheers guys
James

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.