Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
He didn't. That one is all over the net ... the famous scallo*****!!!

Whether you destroy the vine depends on how deep you go ... but you can't go very deep. I wouldn't suggest it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Your best bet is to get it professionally done and have them redo the vine inlay. They'll remove the inlay, scallop then put it back in. It'll cost you, but the results will be worth it.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I want to get an Ibanez RG8427FBX because it's the sexiest looking guitar I've ever seen. I want the fretboard scalloped. Will it ruin the vine inlay?
Depends on if you go deeper than the routing for the vine. I wouldn't suggest it unless you go with Jemwielders suggestion and have it all re-done;)

and that = much $ and who's to say you'll be happy with the final outcome;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Before even you go for scallop, have you ever try a scallop fretboard guitar. Some people may not like the feeling of a scallop fretboard and I'm not talking about the last 4 frets.

If you like it than go ahead, there's no advantages over a scallop fretboard and it does not make you shred faster. The only thing it do is easier vibrato.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before even you go for scallop, have you ever try a scallop fretboard guitar. Some people may not like the feeling of a scallop fretboard and I'm not talking about the last 4 frets.

If you like it than go ahead, there's no advantages over a scallop fretboard and it does not make you shred faster. The only thing it do is easier vibrato.
I own a YJM strat. I dislike playing non scalloped necks now.

I guess I'll just not have it done then.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree this is one of the sexiest guitars created. especailly with white dimarzio's

Sure, scalloping is pretty cool, but IMO its not a huge factor.

Also the tone zone 7 IMO is no where close to the TZ6, and in a mahogany 7 is find it, middy, mushy and and lifeless, Here I installed a D'activator 7 neck and bridge which took some getting used to, but now I love em. They sound great in a mahogany for riffing,leads, even the cleans.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
If you want to try scalloping, get a cheap neck and practice on that. It IS possible that you could actually cut through the inlay, and then it would look like crap. Personally, I would never, ever, ever, ever scallop a J-Custom neck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.