Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Well, the JS2000 got discontinued because no one was buying them, which might have something to do with the fact that Satriani was known for his over-the-top whammy bar use, yet this one's a fixed bridge. ;)

I'd imagine that, while they might rise slightly over the years, you won't see anything major. The only demand, as such, I'd see for them would really be for the Edge FX bridge, as the basis for a project guitar, and if you can buy these direct from Ibanez, then even that's not likely.

If you own one, cool, it's a nice, unusual guitar. If you're thinking of buying one as an investment, pass - buy a PRS or something, and save the JS for a player who'll appreciate that ungodly neck. ;)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The ones I have seen 2nd hand have actually been the cheapest really. They go for less than a JS1000 most of the time. As vaijem said, they werent terribly popular anyway. If I ever find one at the right time at the right price - I would buy one. But personally I wouldnt pay over £700 for one.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
js2000...

ugly color mimicking an old ski boat - check
overcomplicated bridge - check
hardtail that requires a locking nut - check
unpopular to most all types of guitarists - check
shunned by even "joe" lovers - check

not a good investment, but if you like the axe get one... glen

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
If i were to ever buy a JS it would be the 2000, but a double locking fixed bridge is about the dumbest idea I have ever heard.
That's the main reason I never bought one.
I would buy one If i got a killer price on it, but I'm not holding my breathe.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Drew said:
Why is that a dumb idea? It was actually one of the msot common custom-shop requests Ibanez'd been getting from their endorsees.
-D
I totally second that Drew.:)

The people who seem to have this attitude about the FX Edge obviously don't understand why it's such a cool thing and why so many people would love one.

I'd really love to have an FX Edge on one of the high-end Prestige RG's.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I have no tuning issues with any of my Gibsons which are fixed bridge and do not have locking tuners, and I like to think I play the sh!t out of them.
A double locking fixed bridge guitar just seems to me to be overcomplicated and pointless.
I would think that running the strings through the body and putting locking tuners on it would be good enough for anyone, then you wouldn't need allen keys and other things just to tune the thing.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
jemsite said:
js2000...

ugly color mimicking an old ski boat - check
overcomplicated bridge - check
hardtail that requires a locking nut - check
unpopular to most all types of guitarists - check
shunned by even "joe" lovers - check

not a good investment, but if you like the axe get one... glen
1.) I absolutely love the color...I think it looks classy. The color is highly subjective. :wink:
2 & 3.) I love the fine tuners. I like being able to use the same string if you break it (provided you strung it with the ball end at the tuners.) I like the tuning stability. I love the way it feels for palm muting. I like how you adjust the action on it. See? The Edge/Lo Pro/Edge FX isn't all about whammy bar usage.
4.) Unpopular or not, it's still a great guitar.
5.) See #4.

Not trying to change anyone's mind, this is just how I see things. :wink:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Jeff said:
I love the fine tuners. I like being able to use the same string if you break it (provided you strung it with the ball end at the tuners.) I like the tuning stability. I love the way it feels for palm muting. I like how you adjust the action on it. See? The Edge/Lo Pro/Edge FX isn't all about whammy bar usage.
Well said Jeff !

I don't own a JS2000 but i have an Ibanez 7 string with a fixed Lo-Pro (LA Custom Shop) and it's for exactly the reasons you stated that i like it so much.
I think the FX-Edge is a much under-estimated and under used bridge.

Kahler actually produce a fixed bridge version of their locking system now (only a 6 string version though) which i wouldn't mind trying out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just recently bought a JS2000 and its the best guitar i`ve ever had and i`ve had plenty!!!! I love everything about it and although my first impression of the bridge was strange,there is no denying the quality,stability,and the fact that it sustains forever and doesn`t go out of tune! I agree with the person that said the color is classy and even my wife who could care less about my guitars was impressed with the color!!!!! *LOL*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts