Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would say it should polish up fine, just use some fine wire wool and have at it. If your doing it whilst on the guitar then maybe mask off the body just to make sure you dont mark the finish. There may be some pitting left over (black spots) but it should clean up well otherwise.

Theres a company in England who sells a plating kit thats very effective, i re-plated my Roadstar II bridge gold along with some other items. Slightly different methods to plate chrome, gold, nickel etc but the over all process is largely the same. If you mess about with guitars alot then it may be useful to have around. The company sells on eBay, seller name is classic-plating.

Il be posting my Roadstar restoration on here soon so you can see the results for yourself (y)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the advice.

I can't see myself using a plating kit enough to justify the expense. Also, to be honest, I'd be too scared to use it haha!

I'm tempted to go with polish over wire wool, as I've always hated the particles that come off wire wool (even when there aren't pickups magnets involved).

@LonePhantom do you use the standard Autosol "metal polish" or one of the other variants? (They appear to do one specifically for chrome).

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Thank you both for the advice.

I can't see myself using a plating kit enough to justify the expense. Also, to be honest, I'd be too scared to use it haha!

I'm tempted to go with polish over wire wool, as I've always hated the particles that come off wire wool (even when there aren't pickups magnets involved).

@LonePhantom do you use the standard Autosol "metal polish" or one of the other variants? (They appear to do one specifically for chrome).
Just the standard Autosol. I've used it on multiple pieces of hardware now, and while it takes a bit of elbow grease to get perfect, it does an amazing job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts