Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I was thinking if I replace the pickups on mij Ibanez guitar (RG3550MZ neck:DiMarzio Air Norton , Bridge:DiMarzio True Velvet ,Bridge:DiMarzio ToneZone , it has a Master Volume and Master Tone and a 5 way Pickup selector) for an Seymour Duncan Invader in the Neck and a Eddie Van Halen Signature Pickup in the Bridge and the Middle pickup will remain.
Will this work or should I only put one brand Pickup?
And I read something about Pots,do I need to put other knobs as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
I wouldnt recommend it. The mixing of pickup brands has been know to make guitars spontaniously combust ;).

Joking aside, you can certainly mix-and-match pickups brands. It will not hurt your guitar in any way. Now how it will sound will be a completely different debate. Some may say mixing pup brands is a bad idea, and some may say it creates a unique sound. Your call. And no, you will not need to add any knobs or pots.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
You'll be fine
My Les Paul has a WCR Crossroads in the neck and a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge, the only time you will have issues is if you mix passive pickups and active.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just make sure you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and get the wire color differences between the Dimarzios and the Duncans correct--they use different color-coding.

Cheers,

Race

·
Registered
420 Posts
one thing to think about would be difference in output volumes. i don't believe you would want a significant drop in volume when switching from bridge to neck or vice versa. some can be compensated by raising or lowering hight which opens a whole 'nother can of worms :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah but if I just bring it to a shop here in the Netherlands,they'll know what to do,right?:p

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah, any half decent tech will change pickups for you. However, I wouls recommend you develop the skill of doing it yourself; it will serve you well in the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts