Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come I never hear anyone talking about Vai's song Windows to the Soul. Its definetely one of my favorites of his, but I wonder why he never plays it live. What do you guys think?

Ryan

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have seen him perform it live. It was great. But it's a sustainer song and he already does a big sustainer ballad with "Whispering a Prayer". Personally, "Windows to the Soul" is my favorite of all Vai's solo work, but he seems to have forgotten about it.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Maybe it's not so suitable playing that song during live period. Some songs aren't very lively when playing it live :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Saw it on the Ultra Zone tour... that, and Fever Dream (with the heart triple neck) were awesome, and i just knew then i was pretty lucky to see it, as they wouldnt be played often :)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
unique77 said:
How come I never hear anyone talking about Vai's song Windows to the Soul. Its definetely one of my favorites of his, but I wonder why he never plays it live. What do you guys think?

Ryan
Yes - Windows is right at the top of my list of several fav's of SSV's. He did play it live on the Ultra Zone tour which was one of the most amazing live solo's witnessed. It does seem he's forgotten about it since though. Personally, I'd much ratther see Windows than Whispering although I like them both.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JJEMMER777 said:
Yes - Windows is right at the top of my list of several fav's of SRV's. He did play it live on the Ultra Zone tour which was one of the most amazing live solo's witnessed. It does seem he's forgotten about it since though. Personally, I'd much ratther see Windows than Whispering although I like them both.
Ya I'd have to agree with you on that one, while whispering a prayer is definetely powerfull, windows to the soul just has so much emotion in the soloing, to me, his best work. That and he never palys brandos costumes either, which i think is an awesome song, but wouldn't be so lively live.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Windows to the soul still amazes me more than FTLOG. I think it's just not as well known. What do you guys think about Brandos Costumes, has he ever played that live?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
JJEMMER777 said:
He has to play FTLOG. It's his most known song and the song that put him on the map as an amazing solo artist;)
Lets face it, when youre at a Vai show, everyone has already seen him play it... he has many more interesting songs by now he could play for the "ballad" in shows...

I hate it whenever i hear people say Whispering is the new FTLOG... i mean, the song is lovely, but it gets old fast... really fast...

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
unique77 said:
Windows to the soul still amazes me more than FTLOG. I think it's just not as well known. What do you guys think about Brandos Costumes, has he ever played that live?
I've not seen him play that one live. Trippy song though;)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
IMHO if you're going to tour every year (or almost every year) you really need a fresh setlist on each tour. Die hard & casual fans will understand if FTLOG is not played (especially at a restricted length G3 show). To some fans this is blasphemy, hence FTLOG is played each time... glen

·
Registered
166 Posts
Worth searching out the Live In Bulgaria video on E***key / W**mx for Windows - he does a fantastic version on there and it's the only vid I've seen of him performing it. Nice ending too (I won'y spoil it for you ;-) )

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it's like I know your here. It's played so perfectly the first time that even Steve himself can not duplicate it. It is by far my favourite Vai tune.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
unique77 said:
That song has probably one of his most amazing tones, it sinks right in.

Regards

André

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I would love to see Vai shake up the set list a bit.

I understand that artists like to plug their newest album, but Vai plugs his greatest seller. Passion and Warfare was almost 15 years ago! Let's have a bit more music from the catalog. Suggestions for underappreciated songs to do>

1. Hand on Heart
2. The Mysterious Murder of Christian Tierra's Lover
3. Natural Born Boy
4. Under It All
5. Hina
6. Big Trouble
7. Maple Leaves
8. Juice
9. Windows to the Soul
10. Ladies Night in Buffalo
11. Sisters
12. The Boy from Seattle
13. Touching Tongues
14. Still My Bleeding Heart
15. Boston Rain Melody

I love a lot of Steve's work but it seems like he has really ignored a ton of good material. I realize that "Hina" "Ladies Night in Buffalo" and "Big Trouble" are DLR tunes, but if they can perform "Shyboy", I'd rather hear the big stereo delay on "Hina" or the incredible tapping on "Big Trouble"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts