Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been reading up on the virtues of having a quality wireless vs. using a cord. The claim is that a cord is merely an antenna that degrades your input signal and is a noise source. Wireless takes this noise out of the picture and also provides a nice boost into the front end of your amp, preserving S/N ration and essential frequencies. I've read that even for short runs or practicing wireless is the way to go.

Looking for thoughts, experiences, and recommendations for good wireless units.

Cheers,

Race

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good quality cable > Low-middle end wireless.
Cheap wireless units are still fairly expensive compared to good quality cables, and cheap ones are much more likely to get interference and a good cable will probably sound better. High quality wireless units are good, but they arent really necessary unless you do a lot of gigging and need to move around a bit.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Cheap wireless units I tested are real crappy.

I am currently testing a more expensive AKG system which is promising, but it costs A LOT. I will post a review on it, when I have all the tests done (I want to use it in at least 3-4 big gigs to see if a big stage setup will have interference). So far it sounds good.

I have not yet been able to thest the Line6 wireless units, but have been told by some folks that they are nice and good sounding. They also seem more bang for the buck than many other units. I will try if I can get my hands on one...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I had a cheap Nady wireless for years and it was nice to a point. I wouldn't say it's quality was as high as good cables but then again, it was cheap.
I can see your point if you spend for a nice wireless system, but I ended up selling my wireless because I didn't use it that much for home playing and the small gigs I was doing wouldn't allow for a lot of running around.
I will say that I never really had any problems with interference or added noise which was good. It was also nice no tripping on cables and flinging your guitar around in helicopter circles over your shoulder ;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thing is, I've read technical specs that indicate that guitars, by nature, are "lossy" with respect to signal and specific frequencies that never make it to your amp. I've read that wireless alleviates this problem and produces overall better tone because 1. it preserves those frequencies over a very short cable run and 2. the wireless actually acts like a mini-booster, feeding higher-quality and higher-output signal to the front of your amp, producing better overall tone.

Anyone had this experience?

Race

·
Registered
473 Posts
I use the Sennheiser G2 172 wireless system on my guitar. I work in live sound, working shows with numerous well known national acts. Sennheiser is by far the best, and most popular wireless systems for guitars. The EW100 series is their entry level, and I wouldn't recommend anything less. You're looking at about $450 or $500. Anything cheaper won't give you jack for options in frequency selection, gain adjustment/matching, ease of use, battery life...

I notice a very very very slight difference in tone. I record with a high quality Mogami cable, but the difference is not noticeable when playing live.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts