Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Wiring help needed for RT450 - HSH with 5-way & push/pull

18K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fastlerner 
#1 ·
Hi guys, guitar noob and first time poster so be gentle! :)

I have an Ibanez RT-450 with the HSH and a push-pull for the split on the humbuckers. The original 5-way finally got so bad that I decided to replace it. The local guitar store did not have the original YM-50 in stock and sold me a Fender 5-way.

Obviously I learned the hard way (after installing) that the switch is not the same. It also looked like the wiring had been toyed with before I got it so I'd like to restore it to original. No luck finding the wiring on Ibanez site as I believe mine is a 91 and they only go back to 94.

Does anyone either have this diagram or can they point me to another newer model that would use the same wiring?

Also, do I need to stick with the YM-50 or is there another 5-way out there that will do the same job?

Finally, does anyone have any insight into what's going on inside the YM-50? I found one post where someone took it apart and posted what they found, but it's so old the site hosing the info is no more.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! I think I found the one you're talking about:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull

The wiring looks considerably different, presumably because of the different 5-way. Do you know if this will give me the same pickup combos? I'm no wiring genius, but it looks like it will. (neck, neck + center, center, center + bridge, bridge)

Also, is there anything special going on inside that YM-50 that I'll need to account for when replacing with the standard switch?

Thanks again. I'm trying to keep from re-stringing over and over. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Huh, looking deeper at that diagram and it does not appear to do what I want. The 5 way should work like this:

1 Position is the Bridge Humbucker.
2 Position is the Inside Bridge coil and Middle single.
3 Position is just the Single.
4 Position is the Inside Neck coil and the Middle single.
5 Position is the Neck Humbucker.

And the push/pull split the Humbucker to a single in positions 1 & 5. I can't see how that can be what the Seymour diagram does.

EDIT: It looks like the Seymour diagram would change from H-S-H to S-S-S when you pull the knob. If I can't find anything else I might go that route, but I'd rather have the original combos as I listed above.

On the upside, I found a page that gives a good description of the switch contacts. Using that I should be able to map the connections to the fender 5-way, but it would be great to confirm the original wiring diagram.
http://www.guitarnucleus.com/wiring.html#switchwire

Anyone else have a similarly wired Jem out there?

#5 ·
Well, after doing enough reading I decided to open her back up and see if I could repair the mess. That's when I discovered that the stock bridge HB only has 2 leads, so it COULDN'T have been doing what I was told it was doing. (The neck HB had been replaced with a Duncan with split.)

I ended up rewiring the whole mess using this Seymour Duncan diagram and everything worked great:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull

Then today I was looking back at one of the Jem diagrams I had discarded because it didn't have the correct config (no push/pull switch) and with what I had learned reading, I had a EUREKA moment.

Here's the two I had initially passed over for lack of switch:
http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/C.pdf
http://static.keebali.com/jemsite.com/tech/img/t_wd_777.gif

I suddenly realized that if I connected the output of the second half of the 5-way (the only open tab) to the switch and then switch to ground, I could turn the HB to singles in positions 1 & 5 by pulling the switch!

The diagram below shows the mod I'm talking about. Tone is a push/pull and the new wires are in color.

My next mod will be to replace the bridge HB with a better quality and split. At that point I'll most likely go with the new modified Jem wiring below.

THANKS GUYS! I learned a lot with this little project.

#6 ·
sorry you went through all that trouble. i have a wiring diagram for the rt450 that i can email you. i went through a nightmare-ish time with a couple of luthiers who screwed up the wiring after changing out the humbuckers, but i was able to find the wiring scheme a few years ago. let me know if you still need it.

#9 ·
Wow, thanks phantoms. That actually clears things up a bit. The modified Jem schematic I came up with should do exactly the same thing but is for 4-wire Humbuckers.

Also I can infer from the one you posted that the original humbuckers do indeed have a split, but only use 2 wires and a bare ground. So red-bare equals full humbucker and when you send white to ground it cancels the second coil and turns into single. I didn't know they made a 2 wire humbucker with a split, but that's the only way the schematic makes sense. I always thought the bare wire was just to ground the shield but I guess Ibanez made it part of the pickup circuit.

As I have a 4 wire and a 2 wire, next string change I'm going to play with the setup some more to get mine closer to factory.

I also thought it a nice example of "engrish" on the schematic you posted. Under model, it's listed as "SPRIT-5" instead of Split-5. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.