Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I was getting a ton of buzz and then my Tone Zone wasn't working in the split or number two position where it's supposed to split with the single coil in the middle.. Anyway, I'm trying to fix it, and I took the pick guard off and I see this black wire that comes from the Trem I think.. It's loose? It looked like it had been wired to one of the lugs on the 5 way switch as one of them has a wire missing.. well, I stick it on there, and now it's louder than ever.. and my Tone Zone isn't working.. Help! There's another black wire that's screwed into the paint on the bottom of the route. I assume it's a ground or for noise, but I thought the wire from the trem was the ground? If so, where does it go? To the volume pot?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The wire from the trem and the wire in the paint are both ground wires and need to be connected to a common ground point. Often that is the back of the volumne or tone pot, but there may be a ground connection from there to another spot (like a lug on the switch) which may be used also. Make sure you get them connected to ground.

The pickup not working is another problem. Could be that a pickup wire got disconnected, something came apart at the switch, etc. You will have to go through the connections and check them (find a wiring diagram if you need one).

You should check all of the solder joints in there anyway. The wiring shouldn't be coming apart unless there are bad solder joints, in which case others may be bad too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts