Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody!

A friend of mine bought a Seymour Duncan in order to replace the DiMarzio Breed in bridge position. The guitar is a JEM7DBK. He soldered the wires from the Seymour Duncan exactly as the DiMarzio was soldered to the 5-way switch (VLX91). This means the red wire was soldered to exact place where the red wire from the DiMarzio was soldered to. But in position 1 (full humbucker mode) the sound was quite bad. Very trebly, sharp and not much output.
Last weekend we experimented a little bit and solved the problem in position 1. But now the same problem appears in position 2 (inner coil from the humbucker combined with the single coil). The sound is very sharp, thin and has even much less output than the single coil has (position 3). We think that position 2 is "out of phase". We tried several wirings, but could not solve this problem. Can anyone imagine what we did wrong?
I have attached a wiring diagram in which you can see how we wired the pickup right now. In the manual that came with the Seymour Duncan, there is some information you might need:

green = beginning of adjustable coil (South)
red = finish of adjustable coil
black = beginning of stud coil (North)
white = finish of stud coil
Adjustable coil = south magnetic polaritiy
Stud coil = north magnetic polarity.

The adjustable coil points towards the bridge (the one on which "Seymour Duncan is printed on).
I´d be very glad if someone could help us with that issue!
Thanks in advance ;-)

Greetings,
Christoph.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Well you need to sort out your colors youve used the wrong ones, you should get schematics from Seymour duncans website, since the colors are different. This kind of sucks for dimarzio and duncan users and i wish they would standardize it to match

·
Registered
383 Posts
He may have to reverse the phase of one of the pups too. to do that, switch the hot wire with the coloured one that goes to ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
He may have to reverse the phase of one of the pups too. to do that, switch the hot wire with the coloured one that goes to ground.
Thanks, I just installed some JB's and they sounded tinny and i wasnt able to get any sqeals/harmonics. I did what you suggested and now it sounds great! Thankx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.