Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on another forum, doesn't matter wich one that Ibanez wizard necks are too thin and are more likely then other necks to bend and warp ?

Since I have only had one Ibanez guitar I can't comment on it since it was fine I was just wondering if this is something real and if you guys have had more trouble with your Wizard necks then other necks ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
being way more thinner than many other guitars baseball bats, of course they are more LIKELY to suffer from humidity and whatever, it's physics, but they simply won't actually do. even less the Prestige necks, which are 3-piece or 5-piece sandwich-built with titanium reinforcement bars inside.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answer guys, one of my students has a RG350DX and the neck is warped and then I read what some guys where saying on the other forum so I just started wondering, of course this can happen like it happened to me and my Strats when I moved from L.A back to Iceland :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
not sure about the korean models, but my '91 rg750 is in perfect shape, and after many trips back and forth from greece to canada. It's pretty cold there too....

·
Registered
466 Posts
i know we're speaking about wizards but even if it's a bit thicker, the original jem neck is quite similar...i got a '91 model and own it since 1996...never had to adjust the truss rod, and it's always in the perfect bend...don't know what to say...quite incredible, it seems to be made out of titanium itself! :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i think wizard necks do a good job at not warping. i think their main problem is the nut tension cracks. the thickness doesn't seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
being way more thinner than many other guitars baseball bats, of course they are more LIKELY to suffer from humidity and whatever, it's physics, but they simply won't actually do. even less the Prestige necks, which are 3-piece or 5-piece sandwich-built with titanium reinforcement bars inside.
Where did you find this out from I havn't seen it in any marketing blurb? Very interested to find out more.....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Titanium reinforcements:

http://www.ibanez.com/news/default.aspx?ceId=2526

Note that none of the improvements in Ibanez necks (regular cut-> quartersawn -> three piece -> multipiece -> titanium etc.) have ever come about because of customer complaints about warping.

They are the result of production optimization: Hoshino doesn't want to pay Fujigen for any production losses due to warping and Fujigen doesn't want to take the risk, building anything that could warp or fail otherwise during production.

Also note that Japanese Wizard necks have ALWAYS had a second reinforcement bar, between the regular trussrod and the fretboard.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=198&now=9

Dunno about the Korean stuff...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Titanium reinforcements:

Also note that Japanese Wizard necks have ALWAYS had a second reinforcement bar, between the regular trussrod and the fretboard.

Dunno about the Korean stuff...
Good info, so when they specially mention the titanium bar in the 3000 series that means what if all the wizard necks have them ?

"Super Wizard neck features the legendary ultra-thin, ultra-flat Wizard 17mm neck dimensions, but with 5pc construction and Titanium reinforcement bars for even greater strength (RG3000 models)"

·
Registered
118 Posts
Another question, the neck of mine seems to be constructed of three bits of maple, with really thin strips of (walnut?) dark wood between, is this a 3 piece neck or does the really thin stuff in between count, making it a 5 piece??

Also what's a 'wizard' or 'wizard2'? What's the difference between them? Does the RGA321 have either, or something else? The UK marketing info is a bit light on detail!

·
Registered
308 Posts
"Super Wizard neck features the legendary ultra-thin, ultra-flat Wizard 17mm neck dimensions, but with 5pc construction and Titanium reinforcement bars for even greater strength (RG3000 models)"
The J Custom necks had a titanium-reinforced neck already in 2006 - at least that's what is stated in the 2006 Japan market catalog (in Japanese, unfortunately, see here, page 3 about the RG8470F: 2006 Japanese Catalog (PDF) - I needed a Japanese co-worker translating it for me...:(). I guess the enforcement in the 2009er Super Wiz is the same?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Another question, the neck of mine seems to be constructed of three bits of maple, with really thin strips of (walnut?) dark wood between, is this a 3 piece neck or does the really thin stuff in between count, making it a 5 piece??

QUOTE]

It's still a 5 piece neck. The thin slivers are still pieces. a piece doesn't mean it has to be big. You can tear a piece of paper into a million small pieces & they'll still be peices. People get so caught up with size that they think it doesn't count as a piece when it's small. It's still a piece. Yes they still count.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have NEVER had a Japanese wizard neck warp, and I've had a ton. On the other hand, I've seen several Korean Ibby necks warp. Draw your own conclusions.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts