Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on Creatine as a pre-workout supplement. I workout every weekday, and take a 50g protein supplement after my workouts, but lately I've been turned onto the idea of Creatine. I know that it's naturally occuring in the body, which makes me feel at ease to take it, but like anything else, it should be done in moderation. Basically, I'm looking for what creatine does, if it's safe for me to take a creatine supplement, and if it's even worth my time and money. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
it's a suppliment that theoretically allows your body to expend more energy via your muscles so that you can build yourself up to be stronger during weight training. Google around for safety factors. The short version is if you're in good health, not on medications and have normal BP it's safe in moderation. It's also probably not going to help much and IMHO is a waste of $$$ (it caters to bodybuilders looking for an edge working on the placebo effect long term)... glen

quick google reference:
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/ds/dsCreatine.php

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I used it for a while... I put on 30 lbs. in a 3 month period. Creatine will aid some in the healing process after you workout. As far as an energy boost, I felt nothing. Some of the weightgain was muscle, and a lot of it was waterweight. For whatever reason, it makes you retain water.

I personally don't think it's the best stuff on earth. I've heard of some negative side effects. If you're going to take it, I'd recommend the solid pills (not the capsules). The powder is supposedly the worst to take.

Also, I tried andro, and that stuff about killed me. Gave me some strange heart issues when I took it, so I stopped immediately. All in all, you're going to be a lot better off by sticking to eating a lot of food and just working out naturally.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I tried it once but it had some very ill effects on my body! Made me feel like HELL and got me all edgy!! I go the more natural way eating protein rich meals and with Soy suppliments and vitamins of course;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
During muscle contraction the body's inherent "fuel" is ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which is split into ADP (adenosine diphosphate) and inorganic phosphorus. Creatine phosphokinase rephosphorylates the ADP to make more ATP which in turn can re-excite the muscle fibers. The theory behind the creatine supplement is that during times of extreme muscle stress i.e. weightlifting the extra creatine will enable the muscle to work a little harder making for bigger muscle gain from the creatine enhanced workout. The water weight is due in part to the high sugar content of the supplement. The high glucose content triggers an insulin spike that helps transport the creatine in to the cells where it is utilized.

Is it safe? There have been scattered reports of renal failure, but I have not seen them personally. Your doctor will check your extraction of creatinine to monitor your renal function. By taking in excess creatinine your level will be higher, but this would be expected if taking the supplement.

I have used it myself and found it to provide extra short term energy when lifting heavy objects. It does not and is not meant to help with endurance type exercise. Rock on, BillV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts