Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some tubing in my spring to quiet them since thats the popular and cool thing to do people put foam in them

The real question would this affect tuning stability and return to zero after using the bar?

I think so maybe a little cause I noticed a couple of strings are going slightly out of tune maybe is coincidence or just normal after days if playing

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would my method cause an issue in returning to zero? I honestly dont see how the tubes would cause this is fits but is not tight at all

noiseless springs based on reviews i read seems to be a gimmick maybe it mutes a little bit but not lke putting something inside

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
The rubber tube option is an excellent way to dampen the spring noise, my old guitar teacher showed me this many years ago.

The only reason that your tuning stability would be thrown out by the tubing is if you were silly enough to stuff tube in that had to be squeezed in, binding up the spring. If the tube slides in an out by tipping the spring then it's not going to cause any issues.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The red Floyd noiseless springs do help a bit with spring noise... I had better luck cutting little strips of foam rubber and pulling them through the springs, then cutting off the excess length.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it did affect return zero ever since i put them i notice my tuning isnt as stable as before tho ive playing a bit more than before but i still rarely use the bar when practicing and the string are like 1 or 2 months old

im going to remove, first of all, this trick only applies to people who play loud which i never do so whats the point it seems just a cool thing to do but if all youre doing playing low volume in your room is it really needed? i dont think so, it could make sense if you play live tho is just a cool thing people do to copy their idols

the tube did not that have to squeezed in but is also not super loose either, but i can feel a difference in tuning stability every time i play i have to retune because almost all strings go a few hairs flat and it wasnt like this before, maybe sometimes a couple of string would go a couple of hairs flat or something but now all strings go out of tune

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the cotton ball idea Rich gave sounds pretty smart. After all, you did ask his opinion.
where do you put them tho inside the spring i dunno

i asked for his opinion if the plastic tubes inside the springs could cause not return to zero point as well which they have based on what i experienced

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would imagine inside the springs, the fibers would go in-between the spring windings as you use them, damping the vibration noise. As long as you don't severely over pack them... It won't cause any stability issues with your trem.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would imagine inside the springs, the fibers would go in-between the spring windings as you use them, damping the vibration noise. As long as you don't severely over pack them... It won't cause any stability issues with your trem.
why would the tubing cause issues stability they were not tight but not loose either since is plastic that probably not good i guess as you use the bar or whatever the string stretch maybe the tube prevents something

but i could swear since i put them in my tuning stability has been worse

normally after playing for days most strings would stay on the dot maybe one or two would go slightly flat but now i tune them all same tuner then couple of days later all of them are like 4 or 5 lines flat

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well if the tube is inside the spring and doesn't extend past each end on the tubular part of the spring... As you use that spring gaps will open causing the ends of the tube to catch 🤷. Or if they go over the spring there must be friction. Cottonballs wouldn't cause friction, they are soft malleable fibers that would settle in-between the spring windings dampening vibration. The plastic tube is a firm solid object... Which can cause friction.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well yeah I think it's essentially irrelevant even in a pro setting. In professional recordings there's way to many other frequencies from the other instruments to even hear the springs... Not to mention it's actually kind of cool. A lot of people enjoy hearing those sort of little nuances... Like... Listening to a classic zeppelin track of the isolated drums and you can hear John Bonham's kick drum pedal squeaking. I play loud and I don't bother with dampening string noise... Though I don't have gain cranked way up and I hate hot pickups. I like getting my sustain and gain through natural compression by driving the power amp.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Based on what Ive read and seen most mods are a waste of money except maybe pickup upgrades lol

Noiseless springs are probably a gimmick, theyre colorful and all, I doubt they do much of anything. Same for the big blocks. People say it improves sustain but chances are it doesn’t maybe it changes your tone and that may come off as more sustain in your ear?

They may change the way the bridge work maybe it wont return as well ibanez put that stock block there for reason even on their expensive guitars cause is ideal and it works.

steve puts a piece of tissue to dampen string noise and i dont Satriani puts anything and well steve uses the backstops but based on videos ive seen is barely even active and can still flutter a lot and i think the only reason he has them is so he can lift the guitar from the bar like he does in his shows

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
In my tests, noiseless springs do work, but it's cheaper to stick some tubing inside the springs. It's free to use some of the foam that comes with your new pickups in like the Seymour Duncan ones. Cut a panel that fits behind your springs, cover all three.

Sustain blocks make a difference. Depending on the type of metal that your stock block is made from, it'll be small but noticeable, through to quite noticeable. I've tested three blocks across the same bridge, and kept the strings the same, so they didn't change the tone too.

Plenty of mods make a difference, but some may or may not notice. The amount of distortion you play with may mask a little, or some don't necessarily perceive it, whether it be hearing problems, or lack of sensitivity to hearing the differences. At the end of the day, like JsXLine6, if the mods make you happy then it's worth it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Based on what Ive read and seen most mods are a waste of money except maybe pickup upgrades lol

Noiseless springs are probably a gimmick, theyre colorful and all, I doubt they do much of anything.
Those red coated springs are not a gimmick. They actually do work. I have them in many guitars. But you, my doubting Thomas, have made up your mind. Why don’t you take the next step and try a set. They come three to a set, and they aren’t expensive. Try the red ones of the Floyd Rose brand.

If they didn’t work on the first guitar I tried them on, I certainly wouldn’t have put them in my RG or 3 Jem Jr’s. Seriously, you will be pleasantly surprised by them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts