Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm back after along absence. I decided to make a guitar for my good friend with some unusual characteristics. He wants people to say 'WTF' when they look at it. Enjoy i'll be adding pics as I go.

he wants the neck to be made out of an old maple bench he salvaged

I wonder how many asses have sat on this thing

It's dated 1999

Got the neck outline roughed out

SH*T they nailed it together

I'm going to have to work around these...He did want people to say wtf

Removed the old finish

thinned it down a lil bit

the edges had gaps from when they glued so I sawed them out so i can make a bubinga wedge to fill em up

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

like a dream

Drilled the tuner holes

Considered a volute but decided not to

Added a lil scoop on the front something a lil different

Classy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

truss rod marker hole It's going to be a zero fret

Since i'm fresh out of Grade 1 African Ebony we decided to go with Hickory

Cut it to a manageable size

Then cut that down the center

Then cut that in half

Nice and flat

6 hours later i got the 10" radius on it...i don't think we have to worry about the fingerboard wearing it would've easier to cut a diamond in half with a cottonball :)

A light cut of where the frets will go it's a 24.625 scale and will be 22 frets long I'll do a radiused channel later on

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My friend wants the body to be made out of 4 chunks of finish plywood that he managed to salvage somewhere. He wants it so when the body contours are carved you should be able to see each individual sandwiched layer.

it's a jaguar body with humbuckers and a mustang bridge...oh and a monkey grip. All the wiring is going to be done internally and it's going to have individual pickup covers for all of it's electronics....which is extensive

rough cut...splinters like hell

It cleans up nicely though. One things for sure though I'd rather be doing a single piece body. This is having me say 'wtf'

I planed the 3rd layer down to 1/4 inch and will cut all the electronics access points into this layer. This will also make the final thickness roughly 1 3/4"

Routed the truss rod cavity

Second layer glued up

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You seem to know what you're doing with the wood working.
So my question is... Why didn't you knock your buddy upside the head when he handed you that scabbed up board for a neck????
You'd be better off using the plywood really...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was quite puzzled when he told me what he wanted it made out of. I suggested several solid bodies and I have plenty of nice maple for necks, but he was quite persistent with the salvaged materials. I didn't understand it at first but after building it a lil I think I finally understand why he wanted me to use the unusual materials, neck, body, pickups, electronics, etc. It's the guitar made for the working man from the working mans materials :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Drilled the truss rod access hole

2nd layer routed and glued up

Kind of reminds me of modern art

3rd layer glued up

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll scratch that last comment it's the poor man guitar made from the poor mans materials.

Fourth and final layer glued up

1 3/4" thick

Jaguar trem basic

Finished the corners but it's still rough

Cut the rings for the electronics cavity covers

Back contours cut

I have an idea for the monkey grip hopefully my friend doesn't hate it

I made a cap out of an old brass door plate he salvaged. Still rough but I think he'll like it.

Mock up...the front contour still needs a lil cleaning up

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I can see this guitar stirring up the "tonewood" debate ;) No matter the materials, it sure looks like a nice job and probably a fun project.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I can see this guitar stirring up the "tonewood" debate ;) No matter the materials, it sure looks like a nice job and probably a fun project.
Make it metal. Two EMG 81s, two full stack Mesa Rectifiers Kirk Hammett style. I dare anyone to tell the difference or claim there's not enough sustain or depth of growl.:twisted:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd love to make it metal but my friend would be quite upset if I did that :) That's it my next guitar build is going to be made entirely out of wood glue! Take that tone wood people

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is the greatest thing ever! All Shoe Gazers will be rolling in their graves. Wonder if you could fit it with those Firebird tuners... those are WTF looking.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'd love to make it metal but my friend would be quite upset if I did that :) That's it my next guitar build is going to be made entirely out of wood glue! Take that tone wood people
Random sawdust cleaned up from the shop floor and wood glue.
Make a 'slurry' of it, and shape it. :p

1 - 20 of 40 Posts