Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really interested in this company!!! I want to get a cab from them but I dont know anything about them (reputation and quality of products).
Any info on these guys?

And I play mostly high gain shred metal. I use a Engl E530 preamp that is a gain monster!!! and I currently dont have a poweramp. but Im guessing my next one will be an Engl or Mesa 100 watts max tube of course.

What should I get?
Celestion Vintage 30s 30 watt speakers? or Celestion Vintage 30s 60 watters?
I can mix them too if I want to.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have heard very good things about Avatar cabinets, never played through one. Plus you can get any Celestion or Eminence speakers in them and not just G12M75s, Vintage 30s or Greenbacks (my favs are the Classic Leads!). And they are cheap!

Vintage 30s are 60 watt speakers. The 30 watt speakers are something else, like G12H30s perhaps.

Vintage 30s are very good speakers - many peoples favorites and one of my favorites too. I would recommend them strongly. With a Mesa you probably want V30s... with an ENGL, I might prefer the Classic Leads, but either would sound good.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've heard good things about them, too. I've e-mailed back n' forth a bit with Dave, the owner. I think I've said this here before, but there's something to be said, IMO, when the owner is answering your e-mails himself.

I say take the plunge, and post again to let us know how the transaction went and whether the product meets your needs.

BTW, I've never heard an Engl, so I shouldn't give input on the speaker.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
ENGLs are pretty nice. My best description is like a modded Marshall designed for 6L6s and pushes the hell out of them. Sort of like a Soldano but not as smooth. Definitely worth checking out if you get the chance!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have an Avatar openback 2X12 with a G12H30 on the left and a Vintage 30 on the right. Awesome, and I mean Awesome with a capital A cab. I put it on the SAME level as my Mesa 4X12 Road King cab.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
^ Well the road king head is the head that does everything but provide the player with a beer holder, a beer fridge, or a built in bong (and i am sure modifications could be done to provide all three!)... However, a cab will be a cab aside from what you put in it.

I hear avatars are really well made from everyone and they are cheap too, so I would take that gamble. Probably could sell one on **** for around the same price I bought it for!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
red5 said:
However, a cab will be a cab aside from what you put in it.
Not by a long shot. Wood, construction, dimensions, all add to the sound of a cabinet.

I've seen some Avatars, the are nice and well made, the depth is a little shallow compared to a Mesa cab (12" deep vs 14.25" deep), but they sound great with the right speakers.

Roger

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got the V30/G12H cab as well and the low end is just rediculous.

Last night I made some fairly high volume recordings with the mts only to the avatar cab (with lots of blankets covering the cab to kill most of the volume) and I literally had to turn the bass all the way down to 0 because it was shaking the entire side of the house I was on. My brother's room is right below mine and he said that even after I turned the bass all the way down, his pictures and stuff were rattling and my slide and picks on my chest of drawers next to the cab were dancing on the top from the vibrations.

So take that for what it's worth. Open back, rediculous amounts of low end.

Curious if the MTS's speakers could replicate this, I unplugged the avatar and used the mts's speakers (a V30 and G12 Century Classic) and it couldn't even come close. At zero bass, it was still fairly healthy and punchy but nowhere NEAR as powerful as the avatar's low end.

I was also using 50 watt mode. I didn't want to push my luck with the generally good spirited neighbors with the 100 watt setting.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
rgr said:
Not by a long shot. Wood, construction, dimensions, all add to the sound of a cabinet.

I've seen some Avatars, the are nice and well made, the depth is a little shallow compared to a Mesa cab (12" deep vs 14.25" deep), but they sound great with the right speakers.

Roger
My point is either it's made of wood, or it's made of plastic. Of course there are solid back cabinets (not just closed!) which pushes the sound out front more, and then often they stuff them with insolation and stuff, but unless you buy a real ****ty one, it should be alright!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
nice....me is ordering an avtaar cab too. but i am confused what to order. a 4x12 or 2x12 ? i also need to play a 7 stringer so..i need something with a good bass response. I have a marshall JCM800 2203 head (muhahahahaha)..

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
megadeth said:
nice....me is ordering an avtaar cab too. but i am confused what to order. a 4x12 or 2x12 ? i also need to play a 7 stringer so..i need something with a good bass response. I have a marshall JCM800 2203 head (muhahahahaha)..
If you play out in decent-sized rooms I would for the 4x12. If you're playing in your bedroom or basement primarily, I should think a 2x12 will suffice.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the cab on Friday. I love it!!! Its awesome!!!! Why doesnt everyone buy from these guys? I dont get it!!!!!!
The tone is great!!! Im actually (possibly) looking for a smaller cab with an eariler breakup! (like a 212 with some nice low watter speakers) What should I get? Of course its gotta be an Avatar!

·
Registered
42 Posts
nick1 said:
I got the cab on Friday. I love it!!! Its awesome!!!! Why doesnt everyone buy from these guys? I dont get it!!!!!!
The tone is great!!! Im actually (possibly) looking for a smaller cab with an eariler breakup! (like a 212 with some nice low watter speakers) What should I get? Of course its gotta be an Avatar!
how about a 2x12 with 25 watt Celestion Greenbacks (G12M) and the black metal grill

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey, what is the deal with the partial open back on the 2x12's? Some of the 2x12's, that is. What is the difference between an equal speakered 2x12 closed and 2x12 open? (or half open in Avatar's case)

Also, the in/out feature on his cabs. What would the out be? A series or parallel? Meaning an 8 ohm Avater out to an 8 ohm extension speaker would equal what, 4 or 16 ohms?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
nick1 said:
If you like the sound of the V30s a lot, you can get a 2x12 with V30s in it, it will breakup earlier due to being half the wattage.

I would have bought from them if I did not score a deal on 2 Marshall JCM 800 era cabinets for sure. You buy a new cabinet from them or a used Marshall or Mesa cabinet for the same price - it's a no-brainer!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts