Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello there i was wondering if anyone tried either the x2n or invader humbuckers or perhaps both. what are you takes on it and what kind of sound did you get out of it? im curious cause i want to find a new sound for my guitar i have some kind of rg with emg 81/85. not sure what model since i bought it used the only thing i know is that it was made in japan in 99. also whats the difference between f spaced and non f spaced. thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi. F-spaced is for Floyd Rose equipped guitars, or those with similar style trem systems. The pole pieces are meant to be better spaced (further apart, I think) to accommodate the string spacing. And from there, you should know the difference between the two styles.

I've tried an X2N in my Ibanez RG 5xx. It thought was not a well balanced pickup for the basswood guitar body, and it resulted in a tone that was heavy in the low-end and overall dull. In the right body wood, the X2N is a great sounding metal pickup, such as in an alder guitar body. The X2N, by the way, only comes in one "spacing" type, because it is a rail design so the spacing no longer applies.

If you're not familiar with the tonal differences of guitar body woods, they can make a big difference. This should help you (with charts and text): http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks a lot. what are you using now? i was looking for something that would be well rounded in treble and bass. still be able to scream on lead. i guess i just want a magic pick up. basically ive only tried some seymour duncan(dont remember the model but it came stock on my friends guitar) and the emgs i have now which i like more. the only thing is that it seems to lack that round sound and only excells in treble when you hit those high notes. unless you switch to the neck of course.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm a Duncan guy, but I hated the Invader. It's a loud, cold, noisey pickup. I had old X2N's in a Basswood body and they were ok but still not my taste.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I like the sound of the X2n in my JS-1, which is basswood.
I liked it, I just had trouble making my playing stand out, because there was so much low-end. What does your X2N sound like in the JS-1?

hey thanks a lot. what are you using now? i was looking for something that would be well rounded in treble and bass...
I've tried 4 pickups total in my RG: 1) stock MIJ pickup, good tonal balance, but weak for metal 2) Dimarzio X2N 3) Seymour Duncan JB, almost balanced, but a bit much on the treble end. And the fourth one, which is in there now, a Bill Lawrence L-500XL. It sounds similar to the Duncan JB, but seems like there's more output and more mid-scooping. They're sharp looking and well priced, the only trouble is I had to shave the plastic from my pickup ring to get it to fit, and they're also deep pickups, so you can't have too many wires in the humbucker cavity. That aside though, it's not perfect but I'm happy enough with it that I'm keeping it in my guitar and don't plan to change it. The Duncan JB wasn't bad neither, in my experience at least.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have an invader in a 570/550 frankenstein guitar. It's definately loud like guitarguru said. I don't find it noisy at all. Cleans up ok, but really performs better distorted.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
In my JS the X2N has plenty of chunk with some piercing highs. It has a bit more low end than the Fred, but much more gain.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have an X2N in my RG550, and I regret putting it in there. To my ears, it has a very dull, lifeless, and non-organic tone.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have an X2N in my RG550, and I regret putting it in there. To my ears, it has a very dull, lifeless, and non-organic tone.
Do you have it adjusted too close? Maybe you could swap the old ceramic magnet with an alnico one.

I just love mine so much. On the other hand, mine isn't a regular X2N, it's an old X2N Power Plus (previously owned by Jeff LaBar of Cinderella, no less). Don't know if that's any different than a regular one or not, though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do you have it adjusted too close? Maybe you could swap the old ceramic magnet with an alnico one.

I just love mine so much. On the other hand, mine isn't a regular X2N, it's an old X2N Power Plus (previously owned by Jeff LaBar of Cinderella, no less). Don't know if that's any different than a regular one or not, though.
Maybe it's Magic! 8O

Wish I had a magic pickup!
*steals the magic X2N*

·
Registered
859 Posts
Maybe it's Magic! 8O

Wish I had a magic pickup!
*steals the magic X2N*
Maybe! :lol:

I know I've said it a million times before, but I just can't get over it. It's made my rig so much more simple since I've owned it. My X2N has eliminated the need for both overdrive and distortion pedals. It's even made playing easier.

Pinch harmonics no longer require any kind of effort, sustain has been massively increased, it's ungodly loud, palm muting is super thick and chunky, it creates a wall of sound when used for rhythm, and cuts through the mix extremely well for lead work, etc.

I just can't find any reason to fault it. Honestly.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Hmm, how long ago did Jeff own it? I saw him over a year ago, and his tone was very good. I've never heard of the X2N Power Plus. What years was it made?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hmm, how long ago did Jeff own it? I saw him over a year ago, and his tone was very good. I've never heard of the X2N Power Plus. What years was it made?
Not sure, but I know it was loaded into a custom made Ibanez that was built for him in the 80's, according to gpenguins (who currently owns the guitar), who I got the pickup from.

The Power Plus X2N was the first model of the X2N DiMarzio ever made, if I'm not mistaken. I also think it was left unpotted.

If I had to guess, I'd say the pickup was made sometime during the mid to late 80's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts