Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About six months ago, I purchased an Xotic BB Preamp pedal. I was looking for something that would push and break up the clean channel of my amp. My distortion pedal, while sounding good on the lead channel, was a bit too bright and buzzy when driving the clean channel. I went with the BB Preamp, and it's since become my favorite pedal.

I decided to record a demo, and for this, I play the same piece of music twice, once without the pedal, then another with it. The settings on the BB varies for each piece, and each piece varies somewhat in style. Equipment was an Ibanez JEM7VWH into the BB, then into an MXR Dyna Comp, then into the amp. The amp is a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18, and in the FX loop is a Lexicon MPX-1. The Dyna Comp was used for the first four pieces (clean channel) and a delay patch on the MPX-1 was used on everything except the 4th piece, which used a reverb patch. So, here's the demo....

https://soundcloud.com/chronic-fatigue%2Fxotic-bb-preamp-demo

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
nicely done! My old rig was a peavey Windsor head and a 4x12. It sounded good with a distortion pedal but then a friend was raving about this Xotic BBP comp pedal he bought so I got one too and ,no,crap, it turned that Windsor into a JCM800. Using the gain knob on the pedal just took everything to another level. It was glorious. :D I would have no qualms about buying any of Xotic products.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Nice clean tone and we can feel(hear) it punching some gain and compression, warming up that tone.You can get a huge variety of warm tones from pushed clean to bluesy.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nicely done! My old rig was a peavey Windsor head and a 4x12. It sounded good with a distortion pedal but then a friend was raving about this Xotic BBP comp pedal he bought so I got one too and ,no,crap, it turned that Windsor into a JCM800. Using the gain knob on the pedal just took everything to another level. It was glorious. :D I would have no qualms about buying any of Xotic products.
Thanks. And yes, all of the Xotic products I've checked out so far are great. They really make good stuff.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice clean tone and we can feel(hear) it punching some gain and compression, warming up that tone.You can get a huge variety of warm tones from pushed clean to bluesy.
Thanks. That was what I was trying to do but couldn't with my distortion pedal. It was just thin, over-compressed and had this high end buzz to it.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
cool demo - nicely done sir! :) Nice tones in there. I've been eyeing up those pedals for awhile...I keep watching CL here hoping one will come up for a good price. I would've thought that the dyna comp would go before the BB...I always thought compression was supposed to go before overdrive?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool demo - nicely done sir! :) Nice tones in there. I've been eyeing up those pedals for awhile...I keep watching CL here hoping one will come up for a good price. I would've thought that the dyna comp would go before the BB...I always thought compression was supposed to go before overdrive?
Thanks for the compliments. As far as pedal order goes, it's really about preference more than anything. Personally, I like the compressor right in front of the amp. I only use it on the clean channel, where dynamics are much greater than on the lead channel. So with the BB, I was looking only to add some grit to the clean sound I already had. From the demo you can tell that the overall tone doesn't change much, there's just a little more drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts