Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back ago I asked about this. I have a RG550LTD with a bound neck. Someone had sanded the neck/binding, and it now felt funny, and looked funny. So I wanted to replace the binding without replacing the frets. But it didn't look like it could be done.
Well, I took an exacto knife and just cut into the binding, and it just started pulling away from the neck, nice and clean. So all I have to do is cut some binding to the same size as the old binding, glue it in and blend it in with the neck. I'm sure it won't be that easy, but it definitely looks possible.
So right now, the neck is just missing the top and bottom binding, but the frets are all there, and everything else is the same.

john

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have to try. Thanks for the vote of confidence ryanb. the trick will be to cut that binding exact. But I think I can do it.
Have you done this before?

john

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Nope. I haven't done it ... but I have confidence in you. Motivation is a powerful thing. As long as you are careful and don't rush it, you will figure out how to make it work. :) (After all, if people can line the inside edge of F-holes with binding, it has to be easier to do what you are doing. Getting the old binding off should be the hard part.) Be careful not to pull up the fret ends when you are doing it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought getting the old binding off would be the hard part, but it turned out to be the easy part. Once I got a small section to lift, the rest of it came off with ease. The frets didn't lift up either. So far so good.
Thanks again.

john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.