Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, it may have been asked before, my jem need a full setup asap and I need advise from someone who is based in the London area that had some previous setup/repair experience with the following guitar shops. The only three I heard of in the London area, please tell me if you know other places :)

Andy's Guitar (Denmark St)
LAGuitars (advise on back of guitarist mag)
Machinehead (Herts)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Machinehead are top notch - no first hand experience, but a friend of mine always went there when he studied in the UK, and was extatic about them. LAGuitars I don't know, but I wouldn't give Denmark Street the light of day - I once needed some rather rare parts for an Ibanez, visited them all and found them all rather unhelpful on the verge of hostile (for asking about Ibanez instead of Fender and Gibson), and expensive to boot. That said, Andy's are probably the most experienced of the lot - at least regarding vintage stuff.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Why not give it a go yourself? You'd save money, it's relativly easy, there's loads of tutorials on the net and if you ****ed it up you could then take it to be set up by a pro.
Let's face it, it might take you a couple of evenings but you'd be learning and saving money at the same time. It's not as difficult as you might think.

Failing that post it up to me and I'll do it for half the price! I personaly think as a guitarist it's crazy to let another guitarist set up your guitar???

Ben

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Depends what he means by "full set up". If the guitar needs a fret dress or alike a Jem is not the guitar to learn on!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eggy, you're right, guitarist should know how to setup their own guitars, and it’s hard to find someone you can trust apart from yourself. Specially if you take it to a shop, you will have to leave the guitar in the shop for a few days and you never know what going to happen to it.

I did tried and follow the guide on jemsite and ibanezrules, the guide is great and very useful, but I just don't have the confidence to mess around with this expensive guitar myself, I don’t mind setting up a cheap £60 guitar myself, but not a guitar that cost me £1500.

Thanks for your input dp15655, I think I might give machinehead or andy's a go, I had a look on andy's website and they seem to have a few guitar techs who does the setup job, don't know which one is good at setting up floyd rose type of guitars, anyone know?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Doing your own setups is pretty easy. If you dont know what you're doing, take it somewhere and buy a mexican strat to practice on. When you get that right then on to the Jem :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
red5 said:
Doing your own setups is pretty easy. If you dont know what you're doing, take it somewhere and buy a mexican strat to practice on. When you get that right then on to the Jem :)
Bit of a problem there- completely different trem

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
invisible_kid_ said:
Bit of a problem there- completely different trem
I wasnt even thinking about that, I was thinking more for the neck and action... yeah a Floyd and an Egde is a whole new challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts