Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haha this should be good, name one solo that is just a guilty pleasure and why.

ill go first.

White Lion - When the children cry

Reason - one of Vito's best solos in my eyes its just melodic as hell and i never forgot it..

·
Registered
85 Posts
ibanezcollector said:
haha this should be good, name one solo that is just a guilty pleasure and why.

ill go first.

White Lion - When the children cry

Reason - one of Vito's best solos in my eyes its just melodic as hell and i never forgot it..
Ibanezcollector, You read my mind! This was mine too! Vitto's solo on this song was the first solo I learned back in the late 80's. Simply because it's so short. But melodic. I was sure of myself know one would have thought of that one.

Second guilty pleasure solo (I don't remember how to play it anymore) is Van Halen's solo in Michael Jackson's "Beat It". Very cool. TUGGEY

Reason - It's all Eddie.. tapping, whammy dives, and I read some place years ago that he did it without telling anyone about it and never thought it was going to become such a big hit! All Ed in less then 10 seconds of the song.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Hmm.

Believe it or not, Sarah McLachlan's "Witness." I actually love the guitar playing on that album - very lush and textural - but that solo in particular jumps out at me. really, there's not much going on, just the occasional note, edge-of feedback wah pedal noise, and some string noise here and there - but it's a very abstract lead break that captures the "feel" of a guitar solo, and really explores the sound of a guitar in a context and manner you rarely hear it. I love that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I don't really have any "guilty pleasure" solos, but I have always liked the solo on "Just the Way it Is, Baby" by the Rembrandts. It's short, simple, to-the-point and is actually pretty good overall.

Just about any of the darker Sarah McLachlan tunes have great instrumental sections too. Not so much solos, but just great atmoshperic, feel-oriented playing. LOVE that stuff!

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
I don't know how many of you will know it offhand, but the solos in Yes' 'Turn of the Century' would be one of two for me. A lot of quick ascending and descending runs giving the guitar parts a very 'swirling in the wind' sort of feel. Plus, you can play it on an ES-175, and any excuse to whip out a 175 is a good excuse to me ;-) If any of you have the Going For The One album, check it out. It's a great song and the solos are a blast.

The second would be the solo in Rush's 'Afterimage', from Grace Under Pressure. The solo is almost all chords, double and triple stops, with maybe five single note-at-a-time bits. A great song, the absolute perfect lead for it, and great to play because it is just so out of the ordinary. The lead just sneaks up on you and takes the song over. Lifeson is brilliant on this one, and he's always a cut above the norm anyway.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
It's really hard to try choose!!! I have a lot of guilty pleasures:
JP Electric eye and Beyond the realms of death.
Vivian Campbell's Last in line and Rainbow in the dark
George Lynch Mr Scary Live, The hunter, In my dreams, Paris is burning etc...
Scorpions Picteured Life, We'll burn the sky, Virgin killer, Rock you like a hurricane, Arizona,can't live without you etc...
MSG/UFO Rock bottom, Born to lose, Lights out, Rock will never die, On and On, Looking for love cry of the nations, save yourself, we belive in love, all the way from Memphis.
Steve Vai Hot dog and a shake, shy boy,Butler's bag Eugene's bag,Blue powder, tender surrender, for the love of God.
Oh well I guess my list is kind of excessive!?! but as I said I have WAY TOO MANY guilty pleasures and I could still go on...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
This is tricky, top few are

Extreme - Get the funk out - Its got a bit of everything
Van Halen - Dreams - I love the way it finishes on the drum beat
EVH - Beat it - jsut totally cool
Scorpions - Huricane- great melody
Bon Jovi - Next 100 yrs outro - Richie Sambora is really underated and I he goes a little wild on this one

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I don't think people are really grasping the concept of a "guilty pleasure". Extreme, Petrucci, VH, Lynch...these are all players that are widely accepted as being pretty damned good. They're all guys that probably pop up on a lot guitarists' "Top 10" lists.

A guilty pleasure would be more along the lines of a song/band that is NOT normally associated with virtuoso guitar playing.

For example, the guitar solo in the Monkees' "Valerie" is pretty rippin'. THAT is a guilty pleasure. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've always had a soft spot for the solo in My Sharona. Also I used to be in a cover band in highschool that did "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer and that's just a fun solo to play, and a nice change from all the grunge/sololess/antiguitar hero stuff that was happening at the time.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I don't have ONE single guilty pleasure solo, but while I was attempting to train my ear, I took Marty Friedman's advice and listened to some Korean/Japanese pop tunes(from anime, tv shows, internet radio, etc...) and picked out all the melody lines and chords from them. Seeing that I don't understand any Japanese or Korean, I don't have to worry about words, just pitches and phrasing. I found it to be a great way to train my ear, but it's as much of a guilty pleasure as trying to playing a Britney Spears or some boy band's song. (hey, if Paul Gilbert can pull of Spice Girls tunes, it can't be that bad can it?)

(ok... I've hit the bottom of the barrel now haven't I??)

·
Registered
336 Posts
1) theme song from "King of the Hill"

2) To Be With You, Mr. Big. Yeah, I know it's Gilbert, but I only admit playing this song to my girlfriend and people I'll never meet in person

3) I Will Follow (I think it's called that, from the Out of This World album), by Europe. I don't even own this album anymore, but I still play the solo from time to time

There's definitely more, but that's you're getting out of me.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
MehYam said:
1) theme song from "King of the Hill"

2) To Be With You, Mr. Big. Yeah, I know it's Gilbert, but I only admit playing this song to my girlfriend and people I'll never meet in person

3) I Will Follow (I think it's called that, from the Out of This World album), by Europe. I don't even own this album anymore, but I still play the solo from time to time

There's definitely more, but that's you're getting out of me.
That's a very nice solo I love it too, but the song it called "Supersticious"

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
vaijem777 said:
I don't think people are really grasping the concept of a "guilty pleasure". Extreme, Petrucci, VH, Lynch...these are all players that are widely accepted as being pretty damned good. They're all guys that probably pop up on a lot guitarists' "Top 10" lists.

A guilty pleasure would be more along the lines of a song/band that is NOT normally associated with virtuoso guitar playing.

For example, the guitar solo in the Monkees' "Valerie" is pretty rippin'. THAT is a guilty pleasure. :)
Alright then, now I get it, how about
John Norum (ex- Europe) - Love is meant to last forever

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
The theme tune fom Super Mario Bros. :lol:

Just for all you old school nintendo fans out there, hit a natural harmonic on the B and high E string at the 5th fret quickly in succession.

Hmmm, what does that sound like? ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
markg5150 said:
Alright then, now I get it, how about
John Norum (ex- Europe) - Love is meant to last forever
Nice John Norum reference! I still remember playing air guitar to the solo whenever "The Final Countdown" solo would come on. I always wanted to get one of those suit jackets/blazers, roll up the sleeves and rock out! Oh sorry...thats another guilty pleasure. TUGGEY

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
tuggey said:
Nice John Norum reference! I still remember playing air guitar to the solo whenever "The Final Countdown" solo would come on. I always wanted to get one of those suit jackets/blazers, roll up the sleeves and rock out! Oh sorry...thats another guilty pleasure. TUGGEY
those were the days ....

·
Registered
336 Posts
jim777 said:
The second would be the solo in Rush's 'Afterimage', from Grace Under Pressure. The solo is almost all chords, double and triple stops, with maybe five single note-at-a-time bits.
Good choice. I wouldn't feel guilty about it! The leads on that album are *extremely* original, and a good place to go for people looking for a different kind of inspiration. Lerxst solos in this era are always unpredictable, full of cool double and triple stops. One cool thing is how the rhythm and lead parts swap throughout the whole songs, not just during the "guitar solo" spots. Kid Gloves, Between the Wheels, and Distant Early Warning all have rhythm parts that are very lead-like. The tunes are all off-beat, with odd grooves, and the guitars & solos fit right in and bring it all together.

Also, listen how the solo on Between the Wheels comes in kind of mild, but finishes at the end with a bang. Classic.

So many soloists (even the good ones) are recycling the standard formula - pentatonic phrase, fast alternate picking run, some whammy, tapping, etc. Alex strives do to his own thing.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.